Valued Contributor

Re: 💀FBI Urgent Request! Reboot Your Router! 💀

I'm surprised we didn't hear this on the news but I also checked Snopes - thank you for posting this!

Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

I would think the cable and internet providers would do something to protect their customers

Give your cable/internet provider a phone call & then tell me what they say to do. They will probably say reboot your router!

Rebooting clears the memory inside your router. The FBI watched an infected router in someone’s home in Pittsburgh & was able to trace back to the domain address it came from. Then they turned around & directed this domain to be routed to the FBI cutting off FancyBear from getting control of the router info from many people’s routers.

Watch the you tube video RD posted which explains what happened & how to correct it from reinfecting your router.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

The Russians are after all of us!!My son said unless you see it on the news,ignore it.

The router threat was reported last week on several TV news networks.

Respected Contributor

@tarsmom wrote:

I'm surprised we didn't hear this on the news but I also checked Snopes - thank you for posting this!

I heard about it on TV news shows last week.

Honored Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

The FBI is requesting all people with routers to reboot them by unplugging the cord from the back of the router & reinserting it in again to deter Russian malware!

This is not a matter of unplugging the router from the electrical outlet!

See NYT article: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/27/technology/router-fbi-reboot-malware.html

@JustJazzmom  thank you for posting this but it did make me giggle as the only way I would/could reboot my router was to unplug it from the back of the router as it would take me hours to trace the right cord back to the proper outlet!  I read about this from several different news outlets and took action right away.  Thanks again for posting this warning to those that may not have run across it earlier.

Honored Contributor

@tarsmom wrote:

I'm surprised we didn't hear this on the news but I also checked Sn soes - thank you for posting this!

was on NBC tonight

surprised they didnt explain how to reboot, as there are probably some who have not a clue 

Honored Contributor

Done!  Thanks, @JustJazzmom.

Honored Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

@tarsmom wrote:

was on NBC tonight

surprised they didnt explain how to reboot, as there are probably some who have not a clue 

It was on our 5PM CBS News here in Metro area of NY.

Basically, the signal comes from your outdoor cable box into your router, then splits to go to the DVR and/or computers you have. When you remove the adapter cord from your router, waiting 5 seconds before inserting it in again, that action wipes the memory a router has & it reboots to its factory settings. Since the FBI took over the domain address that FancyBear had to capture router information from a website toknowall dot com, there is little chance of reinfection.

Multiple routers in control of hackers can be turned into devices that send out signals to various websites to take them down & crash — it’s called a DOS or Denial of Service attack. 

After you reboot your router, you should change the PW to your router and on your computer, look in at the settings of the router to see there is no remote accessibility turned on. That box should be clicked ‘No, do not allow’or ‘Off’.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't have a cable box or a DVR; and I rebooted/turned off and back on (this was advised on NBC news tonight as an alternative to unplugging) my router three times in 24 hours in the last week.

Am I safe? Woman Indifferent

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

I don't have a cable box or a DVR; and I rebooted/turned off and back on (this was advised on NBC news tonight as an alternative to unplugging) my router three times in 24 hours in the last week.

Am I safe? Woman Indifferent

Yes, you are. As I explained, the FBI took over the domain that Fancy Bear was using as a repository for router information. Read the original NYT article I posted as it explains what they did.