Honored Contributor

FAMILIAR WITH THE REALREAL ?

Anyone have experience with this site?   

I understand they've had some problems in the past, but I'm hoping anyone with recent experience will share what they know.

All feedback and suggestions welcome.

TIA!

Honored Contributor

Re: FAMILIAR WITH THE REALREAL ?

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

Anyone have experience with this site?   

I understand they've had some problems in the past, but I'm hoping anyone with recent experience will share what they know.

All feedback and suggestions welcome.

TIA!

@Tinkrbl44 , I have been very satisfied with their fast shipping and authentic designer jewelry. Their prices are fair and everything has been exactly as described. I like their return policy too. Out of 25 purchases, only once have I had to return something. It was a ring that could not be sized down. The refund was in a week on my AmEx. 

Contributor

Last year my cousin purchased an expensive Prada bag from RealReal and when the zipper broke, brought to the local Prada store who told us it was fake and was able to point out why - RealReal was not helpful, claiming it was not the bag purchased from them - in the end Amex came through and refunded the purchase.

We use to visit the stores in NYC all the time, hoping to find some great vintage items  - in general, have found the prices to be to high for the merchandise being offered and some of the items of questionable quality - just my 2 cents.

If there is something you really really want - go for it and hope for the best, otherwise there are other options out there

Esteemed Contributor

Let me start by saying I have no experience actually shopping there, just things I have read.  It seems things do slip by, which IMO means they are close enough that the people they train to check them for authenticity didn't catch it so anybody else probably wouldn't.   Even if most people get something authentic, there is still a chance what you get is not.  (you in general; not your, personally).   So basically a gamble.  This is where you have to trust your gut.  At least it seems to be a site that doesn't intentionally sell you counterfeit items, so at least there's that.

Esteemed Contributor

I have read things similar to what @Wsmom described. It made me hesitant to order anything.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Take a look on TrustPilot dot com. There are over 27,000 reviews for that site, their service and their goods.

@Tinkrbl44 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Read the article in Forbes about them. They usually use copywriters to authenticate bags. They only look for the more obvious tells of a fake. Sometimes they will pass the bag on to someone with more knowledge and experience. The author of the Forbes article bought herself a fake Chanel for $3,600.00. She was not pleased. She was invited to tour the Real Real facility and she wrote about it in her article. A Prada comes with a serial number inside of a card that had the name Prada EMBOSSED on it.The serial number can be checked at Prada. Your cousin should have called about her serial number and so should Real Real. If Real Real had called and your cousin had a bag with the same serial number it would prove that your cousin got at least one bag from Real Real that was authenticated. There are online photos of every single feature a genuine Prada bag has. There is even a. List of the four companies Prada uses for zippers as well as close up photos of the underside of the zippers pull with company stamping into the metal. What I don't like about the Prada story is that anytime someone makes a purchase it turns out to be fake, Real Real can just say that it is not the bag a customer bought from them. How can a customer prove it is the bag Real Real sent you? 

Here's the name of the article I read:

"The RealReal Sold Me A $3,600 Fake; Here’s Why Counterfeits Slip Through Its Authentication Process" from Forbes online

Trusted Contributor

I have mainly purchased earrings from them and have been quite satisfied with the prices of their gold jewelry, 14 and 18K.  They are gram weigjts that are higher than the Q, especially their braclets and necklace for less cost, generally.  They have a short return window.