Trusted Contributor

Re: Explanation of James' Final Jeopardy Betting Strategy

I feel like Jeopardy wanted James to lose that night so they could protect Ken Jennings as the highest winner. I don't know why they would want to protect his record,  but I think they put Emma in that night cause they knew she could beat  him. Just my theory!! 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Valued Contributor

HE LOST , get over it !

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ripka junkie wrote:

HE LOST , get over it !

lol

Valued Contributor

@Daisy Sunflower He did lose and I do not think he tried to lose especially he being a gambler.

Respected Contributor

Funny the person who beat him only lasted  2 or 3 rounds.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm surprised that people seemed to expect Emma to continue on winning and winning and winning and winning.

Why?  She simply beat James.  Whether he threw the game or not.

I like when all or at least two have a close game going.  Keeps it more interesting and for me, it just gets mundane to have the same person answering most of the questions.

As it happened, we had taped games since the last tournament, so we didn't see James first appearance and I avoided watching all but 3 or 4 games while he was on.  Ironically, his last game is one we ended up watching live.

I wish him well, he is very intellegent-- obviously, and has a quirky sense of humor, but his constant clicking in and monotone answers were rather boring after a while--to me.

Trusted Contributor

I don't know why I feel as though James went in with a set amount of winnings in mind. He achieved his goal, grew bored and bowed out deliberately. Wanted to get on to the next thing. 

He has such a wide scope of trivia knowledge and that made him fascinating (for me) to watch. I can see why other Jeopardy fans might become annoyed with him monopolizing the game, though. 

Occasional Contributor

I was pretty sure the only way James could lose was if another person bet more than he did, which is what happened.  For Final Jeopardy he bet only @$1900.  Even though Emma has more money going in, if his final bet were as high as they were in the past he could have beat her.  Maybe TPTB were afraid he would never lose.  He is the smartest contestant I've seen.

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@judy0330.  Did you know that there's a town in Arizona by the name of Show Low after this gambling strategy?

@Kachina624...No, I didn't know that and I live in AZ.  I'm not a native so there is a  lot I don't know about the state, thanks for the tidbit, I'll have to look it up to find out exactly where that town is.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam