Honored Contributor

@Evie2004  Love this post because it is an example of what I love about this board and the wonderful people who are so authentic and willing to share.  I think everyone should do exactly what they want for Thanksgiving.....eat out and enjoy the freedom of no cleanup/prep/cooking or cook to enjoy the pleasing scent of a home cooked meal and the comfort of your home....it is all good.  The venue, if it is cheese and wine, or a blow out gourmet meal doesn't really matter ....just the sharing of being with family/friends is what makes it so special.  Buckeye, enjoy that restaurant Thanksgiving meal next year!

@Evie2004 wrote:

That is all, all week prep, over in an hour, too much food, eating out (somewhere) next year! 

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

i can certainly understand the clean up causing exhaustion, but all week prep?

What do you prep that takes all week?  I make my pies  and the stuffing the night before because I want to have them get cold..  All the other prep is done Thanksgiving Day and doesn’t take that long.

A big meal prepared by just one person, does take about a week for many of us that physically have to pace it out.

It starts with the shopping and often not everything we need/want can be obtained in one place (as certain things are found only one place). And there is the stock up of non perishables done early, then things that are fresh that have to be obtained closer to the day.

Then, a couple of days before the big cooking, chopping, dicing and pre prep of a lot of things can be done, along with washing and ironing the table linens and cleaning the house.

The day before, desserts can be made, dips made, table set, casseroles put together so they can simply be baked the day of. 

Yes indeed, preparing for a big meal like Thanksgiving can take all week.

Valued Contributor

@nana59 wrote:

I'm planning on leaving town the day after Halloween....taking my left-over candy...and not coming back until January....anyone want to join me?!

Sign me up! 

Valued Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

@Evie2004 wrote:

That is all, all week prep, over in an hour, too much food, eating out (somewhere) next year! 

And don't forget all the leftovers, stuffed in your refrigerator. That you will be eating every meal the next several days.

Yes, we already had pie for breakfast Friday morning 😋

Valued Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

What do you prep that takes all week?  I make my pies  and the stuffing the night before because I want to have them get cold..  All the other prep is done Thanksgiving Day and doesn’t take that long.

Clean & kid-proof house ( make house presentable), change sheets in 2 guest rooms, set up 2 dining tables, 

2 grocery trips, then cook on Wednesday & Thursday! Tired just thinking about it..have a year to recouperated! Putting kitchen back together yesterday & today...

@Carmie, we are old ☹️

Honored Contributor

We're not really 'holiday' people anymore. Holidays are WAY different when you no longer have family members alive, one or two estranged. That's us.

This year we're helping out a great friend of our's who's staying with us until he settles into a more normal routine. He's moved back to the city here, needs a place to lay his head. Our friend is more than welcome here. And he's even less a holiday person than we are.

I ordered a turkey then cancelled it. After discussion we all landed on having cornish hens instead of turkey and DH did them on the grill. They were FANTASTIC!!!!  Inside I made roasted veggies ie parsnips, carrots & broccoli, along with an acorn squash. everything was SO tasty and NO leftovers stuffed the fridge! 

Today being Saturday we're now gearing up for the old tradition bigtime football game today and I'm getting ready to make a crockpot of chili. I can guarantee no leftovers with this either!!!

Honored Contributor

I always threaten to eat out but we did that once several years ago and we said never again.   The family pitches in and we plan a simple meal.   It's about getting together and no one person should  be burdened by the holidays in any form or fashion.

We washed dishes/bowls/pans as we went along so clean up was not bad.

We'll have the leftovers Sunday lunch.

Today during ball games, probably pizza.

The holidays should be about friends & families, no matter how or where you all decide.

Honored Contributor

It is silly to push yourself that hard. You can change the sheets months in advance. Vacuume the house a bit at a time. It doesn't all have to be done in the week before

As far as dinner goes, if it's too much ,make different food, or eat out

We stopped the big dinner  deal ,a long time ago. Guess what , no one even cares.

It's not the end of the world, if you don't serve a Turkey dinner. None of us even like it.  If someone complains ,let them  have he honor of doing it next Thanksgiving

I refuse to get sick over a one day a year holiday

Honored Contributor

@Evie2004 wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

Clean & kid-proof house ( make house presentable), change sheets in 2 guest rooms, set up 2 dining tables, 

2 grocery trips, then cook on Wednesday & Thursday! Tired just thinking about it..have a year to recouperated! Putting kitchen back together yesterday & today...

@Carmie, we are old ☹️

Op thanks for explaining this. It took all week to do other things. I thought it was just the cooking/prep part.

Respected Contributor

@Carmie you are so right about people eating takeout and processed food. As a result of this, the fresh food delivery services such as Amazon Fresh have taken off. You pick your eating prefrence, vegan, low fat, etc and they put all that is needed for your meals together, with instructions, and it is delivered to your door. This is killing the food stores.