Honored Contributor

Re: Excellence is timeless

[ Edited ]

@Mj12 wrote:

I love that quote @GingerPeach, I think it is true.

I also think there have always been a few employees at most companies who will do their best to put in their time (not a second more) with minimal effort.  That is nothing new.  It's a shame though.  And it should embarrass those who perform his/her job this way, but it never will.

ETA - I am not referring to anyone dealing with their own (or family member's) illness, etc.

@Mj12

But I think the difference was in the past that behaviour wasn't tolerated and the employee was either warned, written up, or fired!  Now a days it seems that most companies are afraid of getting sued, and/or having to pay legal costs. (they will hire some attorney that will dig something up as a grounds for a suit)  So the Manager's will play a game moving that employee to another Dept (and let the person become someone else's headache), or giving that person a task and/or work schedule that will make them quit........which doesnt always work........I know of cases where employees were promoted just to get rid of the lazy employee...........

And this is coming from a State where I live which is an "at will State" where you can be fired and they don't have to tell you why.............

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@CalminHeart wrote:

Most people are good and are trying to do the right thing.  I say "most people" 

@CalminHeart wrote:

Most people are good and are trying to do the right thing.  I say "most people" because there are some very hateful people in this world who think nothing of hurting or discriminating against others.  I admit I do judge them no matter how hard I try not to.  Being mean is just not an option, IMO.

Not everyone has the same intellect, abilities, opportunities, experiences.  It's not surprising that a lack of opportunities and lousy experiences can damage a human being.   It's not right to judge those who don't measure up to your standards.

Being mean is just not an option, IMO.

Not everyone has the same intellect, abilities, opportunities, experiences.  It's not surprising that a lack of opportunities and lousy experiences can damage a human being.   It's not right to judge those who don't measure up to your standards.

@CalminHeart, I make no effort whatsoever not to judge people who think nothing of discriminating against others or who have no empathy or who...I'd better stop while I'm ahead before I get into trouble. :-)

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

a lot of people don't choose excellence and a lot of people aren't given a chance.

Is this thread baiting?

Honored Contributor

@lovescats wrote:

a lot of people don't choose excellence and a lot of people aren't given a chance.

Is this thread baiting?

An excellent observation, @lovescats

Sometimes we who are so fortunate in many ways beyond our own doing forget that others are not so blessed. We forget that there is not a level playing field and that some have more of a struggle to achieve that which we more privileged can actually "choose."

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it could be considered political

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@lovescats wrote:

Is this thread baiting?

An excellent observation, @lovescats

Sometimes we who are so fortunate in many ways beyond our own doing forget that others are not so blessed. We forget that there is not a level playing field and that some have more of a struggle to achieve that which we more privileged can actually "choose."

I consider myself to be fortunate but only use the word we to refer to myself with friends/family.   When I post I only speak for myself.   When someone posts here and uses the word WE when they post it just somehow reminds me of Oprah Winfrey.   I don't have anyway of knowing what other people forget or what other people can choose.

Honored Contributor

Well there can't be a wise choice because we can't see into the future and the outcome is determined in large part by others. There can only be the best choice under the circumstances. However, the unknown can turn what was believed to be the best choice into the worst choice.

Most quotes sound good but are more or less meaningless. 

Respected Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

Well there can't be a wise choice because we can't see into the future and the outcome is determined in large part by others. There can only be the best choice under the circumstances. However, the unknown can turn what was believed to be the best choice into the worst choice.

Most quotes sound good but are more or less meaningless. 

I'll agree to that