Honored Contributor

If this is true, it is terrible

I rather think it is, because they made an offer of free air miles.

If they think it's OK to treat a disabled person like this, I shudder to think of the way ,the able bodied, would be treated

I really don't understand why they would do this?

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2018/04/25/delta-wheelchair-disabled-woman/

Honored Contributor

Re: If this is true, it is terrible

I believe there is some truth to this story, but I'm guessing that there is a possibility that the woman wasn't treated quite as badly as the son is claiming. 

If she was, and I do believe it is possible, then they should be not only ashamed but making changes and paying some pretty big damages. 

Let's face it, flying has become so routine these days, and is such a huge business, that it is going to be like all other business. Full of incompetent, non caring, just here for the paycheck people. 

They will try to get away with anything they can. Many don't want to be working or working in the job they have. Companies are too big and don't/can't keep control of their service, but worry about profits rather than hiring and paying well for good employees. As in the rest of society, holding people responsible for their actions and performance is not seen as PC and isn't happening much in business today. 

I feel for this woman, regardless of how accurate either side may actually be. She has endured something I hope no one else has to.

Honored Contributor

I feel sorry for the woman  she was probably scarred ,and worried what they might do to her, next. If there are bruises, it is probably documented

It must be awful to be disabled and alon,e and not have anyone to speak up for you. If they had done this to my mother, they would be hearing from my attorney

I am glad the word is out, there is never any excuse for this type of behavior

Honored Contributor

This is an ugly story, but I came away wonderting if some of the ugliness isn't also on the son's part.  I say that because the picture made it look as if his mother would have slid right out of that wheel chair without some kind of restraint, but the restraint was certainly poorly done.  Where was the son as his mother was being prepared for the flight?

BTW-  I think the disabled need far more protection than the able-bodied.  Right now I can take care of myself.  Hate to image being that woman who certainly didn't look as if she could do that!

Esteemed Contributor

@cherry wrote:

I feel sorry for the woman  she was probably scarred ,and worried what they might do to her, next. If there are bruises, it is probably documented

It must be awful to be disabled and alon,e and not have anyone to speak up for you. If they had done this to my mother, they would be hearing from my attorney

I am glad the word is out, there is never any excuse for this type of behavior

She was traveling with her husband.  Why did he not do something?  There is more to this story.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

If they had done this to my mother, I would be more than a little angry. He made arrangements long before the day, and they were ignored. He didn't just   dump her at the terminal. There was supposed to be a proper chair for her available

The fact  the airlines offered them 20,000 free air miles says guilty ,as far as I am concerned. They are doing this for all disabled people who fly..bravo

Honored Contributor

I didn't know about the husband, I don't know why he didn't say something. He might be a timid sort...

Respected Contributor

Her husband was with her.  Why would he allow someone to mistreat his wife?  And why are we hearing the details from the son who was not there?  I'm not defending the airline, but we don't know how much is embellished.

Honored Contributor

I just did a google and it seems this isn't an isolated incident. 

Honored Contributor

You can add me to the list of those who hadn't read the details and had no idea she wasn't flying alone!    And sympathy for the woman is my strongest feeling.

Anyone else wonder how she's cared for at home if the husband didn't speak up for her as this was happening?  I agree the airline knows an employeee -  or two or three -  did wrong, but I've done my share of airport care-taking and watched enough others do airport care for their family/friends to know there's more wrong here than just that.