Honored Contributor

Re: Everything has changed, even Avon

What AVON are you talking about?  I sold Avon back when I was a sahm  20something years ago and that's how Avon always worked.  The Avon reps have always been independant contractors.  They acquire their own customers and while they might receive a lead from the local office; they arent' required to follow up.  There was no website back then, reps attended periodic meetings and we talked on the phone with our area directors.  What does "human contact" mean??  It isn't a ladie's social club, Avon is a business and the reps are purchasing the products with their own money.  They are also managing their own time so there are times when a rep just can't handle any new customers.  It's a lot or work.  Why do you even need an Avon rep?  You can order online and have everything delivered to your home.  All the brochures right there on the Avon website and there are deals and offers that the reps don't have.  I "lost" my Avon rep when I started working from home and it was sad because I'd been a customer forever but my rep was a woman at work, she only sold to women at work.  I was lost for a while and then I realized that I could order online and the brochures were all online.  And everything comes so beautifully boxed. 

Honored Contributor

@151949wrote:

Many reps now have stores - the one in our fl. town is in the front of a beauty shop , the one I used to go to in Pa was in a section of a gift boutique. Google or look in the phone book for an Avon store in your area.

So true.  One of the nail shops over in the next town sells Avon from the shop.  She has a large display area.    But I just assumed that the owner was an Avon rep who sold from her shop.  I didn't know there were official Avon stores.

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltreewrote:

What AVON are you talking about?  I sold Avon back when I was a sahm  20something years ago and that's how Avon always worked.  The Avon reps have always been independant contractors.  They acquire their own customers and while they might receive a lead from the local office; they arent' required to follow up.  There was no website back then, reps attended periodic meetings and we talked on the phone with our area directors.  What does "human contact" mean??  It isn't a ladie's social club, Avon is a business and the reps are purchasing the products with their own money.  They are also managing their own time so there are times when a rep just can't handle any new customers.  It's a lot or work.  Why do you even need an Avon rep?  You can order online and have everything delivered to your home.  All the brochures right there on the Avon website and there are deals and offers that the reps don't have.  I "lost" my Avon rep when I started working from home and it was sad because I'd been a customer forever but my rep was a woman at work, she only sold to women at work.  I was lost for a while and then I realized that I could order online and the brochures were all online.  And everything comes so beautifully boxed. 

Back in the 80's my best friend was a top selling Avon rep. 

People were, and some still are, looking for something called SERVICE. They are looking for a sales person (with Avon or in any brick and mortar store as well) that knows their products, has experience with them, can make recommendations, can keep them updated on new things in the product line on the horizon, what old favorites might be on the way out etc. 

I know even some here find it hard to believe, but some people want that human component, real customer service, knowledge and expertise, even with something like their Avon purchases. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Tinkrbl44wrote:

Well, it's pretty clear to me .....   these women are not salaried employees, so time management is critical. 

I'm assuming you don't live 50 miles away, but to take an hour or more and considering the gas costs to drop off a brochure or deal with someone who says "I'll think about it"  ....  can be seen as losing money if there's no purchase made.    

I think Avon was in its heyday when a larger segment of the female adult population were stay at home moms.  These days, it's just easier to order online.   

I found a local Avon rep. BUT she turned out to be a pita! I asked for brochures every camp. but she said if I was not going to order every camp then no brochure for me, they cost her money, Plus she was charging an extra customer fee on my orders.

She complained about the distance to drop off orders which I would order via phone. Note I live ONE mile from her!

I now order from the Avon site directly and have been very happy. 

Honored Contributor

@Mominohiowrote:

@chrystaltreewrote:

People were, and some still are, looking for something called SERVICE. They are looking for a sales person (with Avon or in any brick and mortar store as well) that knows their products, has experience with them, can make recommendations, can keep them updated on new things in the product line on the horizon, what old favorites might be on the way out etc. 

I know even some here find it hard to believe, but some people want that human component, real customer service, knowledge and expertise, even with something like their Avon purchases. 

@Mominohio   @newname0

While I can appreciate your comment, NO self-employed woman should be expected to lose money in their business because somewhere down the line they might  buy a lipstick ...    if that's what's desired, the only reps who could stay in the business would be those that didn't need the money!   

If you want personal attention, the department store cosmetics counters are FILLED with knowledgeable men and women who know their product lines and can explain whatever needs explaining.   

Think about this ...   Avon isn't the only game in town.  There are (almost) a gazillion cosmetics companies out there for every price range.     You can find what you want from any number of places .... online or B&M.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Maybe there just isn't enough money in it for people, the days when some women did not work ,it was a way to make money ,so much skincare out there now days,it changed years ago.I remember back in the 60's my mil collected the bottles.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

The products are readily availabe and arrive in a week or so.  You wait two weeks for an rep rep to drop your Avon goodies.  So, I can only assume that some women what to fly back to the 1960's and have an Avon Lady ring their doorbell and sit at the formica kitchen table and drink coffee with them and gossip while explain their products.  That must be the human touch people want.  Get over it.  That was 50 years ago.  That Avon Lady ran off off with the Milk Man in his wood paneled station wagon....lol

Trusted Contributor

Avon signage.jpg

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44wrote:

@Mominohiowrote:

@chrystaltreewrote:

@Mominohio   @newname0

While I can appreciate your comment, NO self-employed woman should be expected to lose money in their business because somewhere down the line they might  buy a lipstick ...    if that's what's desired, the only reps who could stay in the business would be those that didn't need the money!   

If you want personal attention, the department store cosmetics counters are FILLED with knowledgeable men and women who know their product lines and can explain whatever needs explaining.   

Think about this ...   Avon isn't the only game in town.  There are (almost) a gazillion cosmetics companies out there for every price range.     You can find what you want from any number of places .... online or B&M.

I spent time in the b&m stores this last Christmas season, looking for two differen't fragrance related things for gifts, and the people are clueless. They knew nothing about the brands in their cases, had never heard of some of the things I was looking for (even though I know they exist in the particular product line) and no, they weren't seasonal help, but people with years of experience (their badges said so). 

Customer service in the aspect of finding someone truly knowledgeable about their products and the industry they are in in general is all but dead.

Any self employed person is not going to make it long, if they don't have good customer service. People starting their own business loose money a lot in the beginning. There are endless days following up on leads that don't pan out. It's part of the process to build a customer base. 

And there is much less excuse today, to not bring in customers. If an Avon rep thinks it's too far to drive for an initial contact (and remember, this customer is actively seeking....enough so to contact the company), they could easily contact by phone or other method to put out feelers and get some kind of idea of real interest. A good rep might say it is too far out of his/her area, but would actively seek out another rep closer to the customer, and recommend them. Things like that go a long way to securing a new customer.

So it's one of two things, the rep is either happy with the level of business she has, and isn't even business like enough to let customers know she at full capacity and help them find another rep, or like much of today's service industry, is poorly trained, lazy and does only the minimum amount of work to get by. Either way, it looks bad for Avon. 

After all, the company still has and advertises their reps. So why wouldn't a customer expect to be able to access and have the service and convenience of one? 

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltreewrote:

The products are readily availabe and arrive in a week or so.  You wait two weeks for an rep rep to drop your Avon goodies.  So, I can only assume that some women what to fly back to the 1960's and have an Avon Lady ring their doorbell and sit at the formica kitchen table and drink coffee with them and gossip while explain their products.  That must be the human touch people want.  Get over it.  That was 50 years ago.  That Avon Lady ran off off with the Milk Man in his wood paneled station wagon....lol

I can see you don't understand sales in the least.

Real Avon reps, even in the much hated past some here seem to shun, knew that getting a product in a person's hand, letting them sample it, handle it, smell it etc. makes a sale. 

A page on a brochure, a picture on a webiste isn't the same thing, but much of business today just doesn't get that. 

I used to work for my friend that was a top Avon rep, and she was't gossiping and drinking coffee. She was getting to know the women who became customers of hers for decades. She knew their likes and dislikes, and could recommend new products based on actually knowing them. She could let them know of upcoming sales and specials, not just assume that they'd notice it in the latest book.

She knew about their families from their purchasing, and made lots of sales by recommending things for the grandkids, the mother in law (who just might also be her customer and had knowledge of her preferences), the husband, etc. 

She put products, both beauty and their gift line which became highly collectible and sought after (no, I don't care if they held their value or their grandkids had to throw out boxes of it upon their death, the point is she made a great living selling these women what they wanted) directly into their hands and increased her sales tremendously by doing so. 

Selling Avon isn't something one is required to do. One chooses to do it. If one can make the kind of money they wish by providing little to no personal service, then good for them, they are getting what they need. 

But many fail at this kind of venture, and one reason just might be they aren't willing to actually put forth the time, effort and personal contact people seek and expect from a company that actually still, in this day and age, touts their reps even on national advertising. 

It certainly isn't too much to expect personal service and a rep to be located in your area (most areas, maybe not some very rural or remote places) that will provide some contact and support services. One that has samples and some of the product line for you to see and handle. 

If Avon is going to eliminate their sales reps, so be it. But if they are going to continue to market their availability, I see no reason a customer shouldn't expect the company to find them a rep in their area. 

If it were me, I'd move on to other product lines. I'm not one to work that hard to spend my money with you. If a company can't or won't give me what I need or want in the way of products and service and quality, I'm gone. 

I'm sure this is happening to Avon in many areas, if people are seeking reps and can't find them. Many may order their old standards online, but will fizzle out as a really growing customer over time. It cost significantly less to keep and existing customer than to obtain a new one, but that seems to be forgotten in today's retail.