Honored Contributor

Re: Everything Extended Endlessly

@seamus2  I agree that a lot of the problem with the holidays now a days is the excessiveness. When I was a child we got a gift from Santa and a gift from our parents and grandparents. Other than that we had some Aunts & uncles who would stop by on Christmas and bring something like cookies or maybe a coloring book or paper dolls. I remember at about 6 years old getting a little plastic purse from my aunt - OMG - did she know she was starting a lifetime obsession? I loved that purse and carried it everywhere until it fell apart. We did have a bachelor uncle who always gave us a silver dollar.

Valued Contributor

We are making ourselves sick and crazy.  I've noticed that the contentiousness of the presidential campaign has had an adverse effect on the dispositions of friends.  Everyone seems to be testy and on the edge of biting someone's head off.  Add the pressure of the holidays and it's no surprise so many self-medicate and are just miserable.  

Honored Contributor

I have also had enough of the election...what a mess.I think everything is just overdone these days.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

It isn't making me sick and crazy because I don't expose myself to the stupidity.

Esteemed Contributor

Like others have said, I cannot control what others put out there so I control what comes into my world. I have limited political tv news to one hour a day. Once QVC put up their Christmas trees I stopped watching except Isaac Mizhrahi on Monday nights. I check my Facebook news feed twice a day only. I limit my post here to two a day if that. I have researched and kept up with my stocks and retirement and financials like I never have before. I have taken my dogs for more walks and have met more neighbors in the neighborhood that Ever before. Reading and watching tv that brings me joy has increased. I had to turn things around for my own sanity. 

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

While I'll definitely be happy when the election is over, this one was sure a doozy!  One party started with about a dozen possible candidates!    Yikes!

As for the holidays, QVC has a whole month of Christmas in July!    I've always assumed that this was an option used primarily by seniors on fixed incomes who like to make ez pay payments on gifts they wish to purchase rather than having a massive credit card bill in January.

As for the retailers starting early ....  seems to me that if one of them starts early or does something in the fall season, then the other retailers follow suit!  They are very competitive, so it's to be expected, IMO.      I just ignore whatever  I can.

Honored Contributor

@Vivian Florimond wrote:

Now that we are in the home stretch of the longest election cycle in human history (no political opinion here), I realize that something is happening. We are being subjected to overly extended build-ups of events. It's taking a toll on our psyches.

Christmas, or what is now called the holiday season, is two months long. I cannot recall ever seeing so many Christmas ads on Halloween as I've seen this year. QVC has had their trees up for awhile. To me, ALL this advance build-up takes away from the special meanings of the events and holidays they represent. In other countries, the election cycle is under two months. Somehow they can get it done. Christmas season used to start right after Thanksgiving. Now we feel pressured to start shopping ASAP...or else. Or else what? I can tell you what all the hype has done to me. I have turned off the TV. I've stopped listening. My life is more peaceful as a result.

No one believes it's actually the Christmas season, but it is the shopping season to prep for Christmas, including gifts, decorations and craft making supplies. If you're shopping retail, especially online retail then yes you need to shop early. I already bought some Christmas gifts, I have mail them and I need time to inspect them, have time for possible returns and choosing something else and then time to mail it out. Mail is always slower November and December. 

Personally, I'm not interested in running around a week or two before Christmas trying to get it all done and mailed and hope it shows up on time. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I hear ya. By the  time  the event actually arrives I am sick of it. It was a lot more fun when Thanksgiving was the kick off to the Christmas shopping season

They used to have little spots on TV about Christmas , geared for the kids, and it was exciting

Valued Contributor

My mute button is wearing out.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am numb about Christmas.  When I hear it mentioned, it doesn't even register that it's a holiday coming up next month.  I am in no way motivated to shop for gifts or decorations.  Won't do much of either.

On the other hand, I'm totally stressed about this election.  As someone said, it seems as though it has been going on for 5 years.  That combined with the police shootings and the increase in crime have made this a very stressful year.

I'm sure the whole country will breathe a collective sigh of relief when the election is over.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment