Esteemed Contributor

Everything Extended Endlessly

[ Edited ]

Now that we are in the home stretch of the longest election cycle in human history (no political opinion here), I realize that something is happening. We are being subjected to overly extended build-ups of events. It's taking a toll on our psyches.

Christmas, or what is now called the holiday season, is two months long. I cannot recall ever seeing so many Christmas ads on Halloween as I've seen this year. QVC has had their trees up for awhile. To me, ALL this advance build-up takes away from the special meanings of the events and holidays they represent. In other countries, the election cycle is under two months. Somehow they can get it done. Christmas season used to start right after Thanksgiving. Now we feel pressured to start shopping ASAP...or else. Or else what? I can tell you what all the hype has done to me. I have turned off the TV. I've stopped listening. My life is more peaceful as a result.

Respected Contributor

Re: Everything Extended Endlessly

[ Edited ]

@Vivian Florimond wrote:

Now that we are in the home stretch of the longest election cycle in human history (no political opinion here), I realize that something is happening. We are being subjected to overly extended build-ups of events. It's taking a toll on our psyches.

Christmas, or what is now called the holiday season, is two months long. I cannot recall ever seeing so many Christmas ads on Halloween as I've seen this year. QVC has had their trees up for awhile. To me, ALL this advance build-up takes away from the special meanings of the events and holidays they represent. In other countries, the election cycle is under two months. Somehow they can get it done. Christmas season used to start right after Thanksgiving. Now we feel pressured to start shopping ASAP...or else. Or else what? I can tell you what all the hype has done to me. I have turned off the TV. I've stopped listening. My life is more peaceful as a result.

I know what you mean, so I voted early and turned the tv to TCM.  I also never watch the Christmas shows.  My tv doesn't control me.

Respected Contributor

We need to enjoy the moment    

Thanksgiving is in 3 weeks.  I feel like we've been talking about Christmas for months now.   Lol

Respected Contributor

Yes, IMO it's sad the media and retailers bombard us about events for an extended period. I don't perceive that as "excitement". I perceive it as "stress". But don't blame them -- blame the individuals who buy into the hype; some people want to and some people can't help themselves. We all have the choice to turn off and tune out...which is what I do as well.

Honored Contributor

I agree that with today's media 24/7/365 need to fill space and create headlines and garner high ratings, and retails constant need for increased sales, things that used to 'have their season' are now almost constant.

I don't think we are going to do anything to change that.

The only solution is for each individual to take control of what they want to be focused on and for what time period, and simply tune out the rest. 

Frequent Contributor

First I need to say that I am not a member of any Christian faith and so I do not celebrate Christmas.  So as an outsider I am confused as to what Christmas really is.  To me  it should be about the birth of Jesus Christ and the religious and moral aspects that involves.  But what I see is the Holiday of Buying as Many Gifts as You Can to Keep Up with the Neighbors, Family, Etc!   QVC and all retailers are out to sell their products and make lots of money.  It's up to you to decide what holiday you are observing.  I celebrate Hannukah which this year starts on Christmas Eve - OY!  As I reminise on the 72 years of my life I remember after lighting the menorah the first night getting from my granddparents ONE silver dollar and from my parents ONE small gift!  That's it - nothing else the rest of the 8 day holiday!  Speed up to when my kids were little over 40 years ago and suddenly there was this competition to give as many gifts for Hannukah as the Christian kids got for Christmas.  I didn't fall for that - there was one toy and the rest of the nights they would get things they would get anyway - a pair of mittens, new sheets, pjs, socks, a hat!  I still only give one small gift for each of my grandchildren and no presents to my adult children.  So what I'm saying you do what you are comfortable with and what's important to you!  And don't fall for the retailers who are there to make money!

Respected Contributor

@Vivian  You are so right.  I never did buy into that "multi-tasker" garbage.   I've always admitted to being a limited person, and can only do one holiday at a time.  

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

I doubt there is any voter in America who isn't sick & tired of this election. Honestly, I feel it has been going on for 5 years.I can recall when it didn't start til labor day. All the money wasted on this - makes ones stomach turn.

Retail companies are all so afraid that someone else may get a dollar of your Christmas budget that they ruin the holidays trying to rush to get their hands on your money as soon as they can.I read somewhere that 80% of the money spent every year is spent at Christmas.

Respected Contributor

DH & I quit buying gifts for almost everyone years ago. We get one small gift for each other to open on Christmas morning, and something for my dad. We have no children and our other parents are gone now. IF we do anything big, it's something for the house...furniture, etc. Any other "holiday dollars" we spend go to our church's various charitable programs. The season has become soooo much less stressful this way!

I think the election cycle should be something like this:

1. Candidates announce themselves.

2. Primaries a month later.

3. General election two months after that.

With TV and the internet they get plenty of exposure. I've NEVER gone to a political rally to see a candidate in person.

Esteemed Contributor

The good news is that we have a choice on how we respond. I, for one, have no interest whatsoever in baseball, CMA awards, or decorating for holidays and, therefore, it has been really easy for me to ignore those things that have recently been promoted and all over TV. On the other hand, I LOVE politics and, I admit, I'm a little worried that I'll have withdrawal pains after the election (LOL). I know I'm in the minority on that one....but it's true--I hate that the election will soon be over. The point is that we all have a choice in how we respond.