Super Contributor

Ever had a friend/neighbor back off from the friendship?

I've been close to my neighbor for almost a decade. In the last few months she has had a chill about her. My teenage child has noticed it too.

About a month ago I asked her if I did or said anything to upset her and gave an apology if I did. She said 'no'.

Now when she is outside she talks on her phone the whole time so it's not inviting to go over and speak with her.

She does have family stress. Her mother moved in about 2 years ago and they are footing the bill for her. She is a bit of a hoarder and brought as much of her stuff as she could, moving 1000 miles away from her other children. They also pay $300 per month for storage for her other stuff. Just recently her husband told her she needs to get a job to help with the family income since he was the sole provider with their child, the 2 of them and mother.

Her husband has told me in private that he is tired of paying for everything, medicine, entertainment, food, housing without mother pitching in. Her other 2 children haven't even visited her.

To me I would rather let people go if they don't want to be friends with me without saying much. I already said something.

So, would you let it go or try to see if you did anything to upset her?