Esteemed Contributor

Re: Eve, Sloaney and Kitten Cams

[ Edited ]

@Yahooey 

Yes to the grape tomatoes.  I have 4 red grape/cherry plants, 2 yellow/orange cherry tomatoes, then 1 yellow plum cherry.  I say "cherry" meaning smaller fruits.  I did buy one dwarf tomato that gives dark red/purple medium size tomatoes.  

Also, lemon balm, basil, mint will go on.  I had a huge pot of a variety of mints for the last few years, but....had my husband dump it out into a bare spot in our field.  It had gotten overgrown and I really wasn't using the mint.  

I wanted to add new soil, so now the mint plants are out in the sunny field and will likely take over the forest Cat LOL  Mint is like a weed, but I love it.  My mother always had mint for tea in the summer.

This gives me a limited number of plants to tend, and come late June, I have more than enough tiny tomatoes eat lavishly. 

I laughed because by the time I bought potting soil and plants I spent more $$$ than I would likely spend on many containers of tomatoes.

I only know that when I pick my first one, it is all worth it.

Our soil is hopeless...clay/gravel, so this is the ONLY way to get anything to grow.

Besides, it gives me something to do and hope for the future.  The nursery told me they were wiped out several times with folks buying anything and everything in vegetable plants.

Guess everyone is taking up gardening!

Honored Contributor

Mercy cc - ai needz mai ownz COS  

too mani babbees

Screen Shot 2020-05-13 at 7.02.31 PM.png

@Witchy Woman @HerRoyaLioness @MyShadowLove @Marp 

Honored Contributor

@Witchy Woman 

I can't grow tomatoes since I dont get enough full sun

I was looking for grape tomatoes yesterday and it threw me for a loop at my Stop and Shop - they wanted $4.00 for a container which I have bought $3.00 a piece or 2/5.00 last year 

I left and found a local fruit/veg store selling 2/5.00

the cherry tomaotes there were  2/3.00

was it always this way - cherry tomatoes are less expensive than grape?

maybe it is the shape but I do like the grape

what else have you planted? things thriving?

Esteemed Contributor

@Yahooey,  how many hours of direct sun do you get?  Six hours is sufficient but you can get away with 8 hours of bright light.  I grow all my tomatoes, cucumbers, green beans, etc. in containers.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Esteemed Contributor

@Yahooey 

All the plants I priced were around around $3.50 a container.  Tomatoes and herbs both.  My "cherry" tomatoes (yellow and red) had fancy names, but were not classified as "grape."  I did buy two yellow "pear" tomatoes that are small.

If you found 2/5.00 or 2/3.00, you got them a lot cheaper than I did.  Seems the cost of everything has bumped up a bit.  I'm thankful that I don't have to deny myself anything because of that.  I bought my plants from our local nursery and Ace hardware.  The potting soil was price this year, too, but I bought Miracle grow in the 2 cu. ft. bags.

Yes, 6 hours a day will do I think.  The area I put them is a wall from our main garage that separates the "work" bay of what I call the "bus" garage. Cat LOL  The wall is the perfect shelf for my huge pots and gets sun almost all day, so more than 8.  

I did plant one regular size tomato that will stay around 2 ft. high.  

As I mentioned, by the time I added up all I spent on plants and dirt, I could have bought a truckload of tomatoes Cat LOL

However, when they are ripening on the vine and I can go out to pick my fresh basil and lemon balm and have them in my salad, I forget all about that.

It has been quite cool here...almost cold.  But I think it will warm next week.  

I heard that Ocean City will be opening beaches this weekend.  I hope it all works out for folks, but I stopped going to the beaches long ago.  Too many people for me.

I think Shelly has another pregnant cat, but haven't seen much about here.

Hope everyone is well!

Esteemed Contributor

@Marp 

I have never done cucumbers in pots, but might have to consider doing one.

They have gotten kind of expensive in the store, which I don't understand.  The plants are prolific and people cannot give them away.

I enjoy all those things you mentioned and might have to branch out one of these days.

Honored Contributor

@Witchy Woman 

it wasn't plants I was posting about - apologies

it was the tomatoes themselves being sold

Esteemed Contributor

@Yahooey 

Oh, well, that is still a great price!

I'm not sure it makes sense price wize to grow them, but it just makes me feel good.

In season, our local farmer's markets have so much stuff, but I still like having my own. Cat Happy

Honored Contributor

there are other plants that loom shade over my small patch and I tried a few years ago in containers - bushy plant but no harvest

I'm good with what I have - grateful for that as we are all stuck inside and most don't have what I have living in NYC

I get about 3 hrs of direct sun and maybe 6 of brightness but once the vines come up - the garden looms in darkness - the vines are squash and beans

@Marp @Witchy Woman 

Esteemed Contributor

@Witchy Woman wrote:

@Marp 

I have never done cucumbers in pots, but might have to consider doing one.

They have gotten kind of expensive in the store, which I don't understand.  The plants are prolific and people cannot give them away.

I enjoy all those things you mentioned and might have to branch out one of these days.

@Witchy Woman,  speaking of pricey in the store don't overlook bell peppers.  They also do well in containers.

Matter of fact I find that with my clay soil a lot of things do better in containers.  It is either that or spend a fortune for dirt to amend my soil.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.