Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Bhvbum wrote:

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@GrailSeeker 

The models were wrong, the scientists and experts were wrong.

The amount of government waste is unbelieveable, and the amount of money spent on the field hospitals makes me ill.

All based on bad numbers, and we the American public are paying a heavy price.

Thank you to your son for his service.

The models were right, we actually did FAR better than the folks who did the modeling thought we would.  WE are the reason the outcome has been different not  "bad numbers."

That happened where I live, it was a terrible hot spot and wham, we CLOSED UP and all stayed home.  The curve took time but we are now in line with the rest of the state.  But ONLY BECAUSE OF US, NOT BECAUSE THE NUMBERS WERE WRONG.   

During a Pandemic with no prior experience we are going to err on the side of safety.  Anyone suggesting we be frugal in a Pandemic has another agenda.  

@Bhvbum, our models here in Ohio are not even close.  We were told that with the stay at home order, social distancing, etc. we could expect to see as many as 10,000 new cases per day.  As of yesterday, we had a total of under 25,000 cases and under 1,400 deaths.  Then new models were brought out that reduced that by 50%-75%.  

Of course this is a very good thing.

Honored Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@pitdakota, thank you very much for the explanation.  

No what happened in the nursing homes in NY was that the State required them to take Covid patients  - even when they clearly said they could not safely isolate them and begged the State to send them to the UNFILLED Mercy ship.  The state refused - consigning innocent people to death from exposure.

Let's just stop with the fantasy that if we all just listen to the "experts" and obey the State, everything will be fine - because they "know what's best for us."

Clearly, they don't.

@Isobel Archer, so who exactly should we be listening to?  Correct me if I'm wrong but I seem to think you have expressed your dislike or distrust for WHO and the CDC as well, in particular Dr. Fauci.  I agree that those in the government who have no medical expertise at all should not be passing out medical advice.  As others have said, they need to stay in their lane.  Just like the medical experts shouldn't be handing out economic advice and to my knowledge they have not.  

No one is an expert in this particular virus because it is too new.  All they can do is draw on their knowledge with past viruses and work with what they know at the moment.   Yes it gets frustrating because it seems like so many things change from day to day.  I've been frustrated myself.  But we have to use some common sense with this and we have to look to someone for advice on this.  

I'd rather they have overreacted to this than done nothing.  There may or may not be another surge.  At this point, they don't know for sure.  Again, they can only draw on past experiences.     

Contributor

What? 10,000 a day?  With everyone following the rules, that was clearly off. Who exaggerates that's much!

Super Contributor

@suzyQ3   Thanks for posting this.  I'm printing several copies and sharing with loved ones.

@pitdakota  It's a delight to read you. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Evaluation of Risks

[ Edited ]

@Isobel Archer wrote:

No what happened in the nursing homes in NY was that the State required them to take Covid patients  - even when they clearly said they could not safely isolate them and begged the State to send them to the UNFILLED Mercy ship.  The state refused - consigning innocent people to death from exposure.

Let's just stop with the fantasy that if we all just listen to the "experts" and obey the State, everything will be fine - because they "know what's best for us."

Clearly, they don't.

I read that the ship refused to take COVID-19 patients and was reserved for the anticipated overflow of non-COVID-19 patients from hospitals. Few materialized because people were avoiding hospitals, and then I believe some of the ship's staff tested positive for the virus. The whole thing was a bust and a waste, but I don't believe that's NY's fault. Things like this are going to happen.

ETA The ship in NY's harbor was called Comfort, not Mercy. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@noodleann Exactly!!!! The Comfort and the Javit's Center were only accepting non-Covid patients initially. After the infection was discovered on the Comfort and in the Javit's Center, then Covid patients were allowed. People were not coming to the hospitals unless they were forced to and ERs were overrun by Covid patients. Sadly, the Nursing Homes were those patient's homes and there was nowhere else to send them. It's where they lived. The lack of infection control should be blamed on the preparation of the institution itself and the lack of testing and equiptment that was nationally  unavailable at that time. 

It's easy to sit back and second guess or criticize if you are removed from the situation,  looking to deny or place blame or with the benefilt of hindsight. Were mistakes made? Of course they were given it was a situation that nobody had ever experienced before. Everyone was doing the best they could under the circumstances and the lack of support and supplies they needed.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Valued Contributor

Thank you @suzyQ3 for this article. This is a free country and people can make their own decisions but I am stunned that there are so many who actually seem angry or upset by the availability of information and believe it does more harm than good for it to be available to those of us who want to read it. 

I realiaze that this pandmic has an air of unreality to many parts of the country which have only been touched mildly and I can appreciate that. It’s hard to grasp what you haven’t seen first hand and believe that it’s just a big city or coastal problem.  But please remember that this is a once in 100 year worldwide pandemic. It is not the seasonal flu. They are learning more each day about the presenting symptomatology. Young people are having strokes, pts are throwing blood clots to heart and lungs, inflammation of blood vessels etc. I am a retired RN, my son works with these pts every day and dil is exposed as well in her health care role. Almost 84,000 deaths in 60 days is stunning.  I’m more than ready to go when my time comes. I am 71 but there are future generations to consider. So why is an article with helpful preventative information so annoying or offensive. I just don’t understand.

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 

I found this article very informing and am grateful for it....Thanks!  Reading it doesn't scare me.  Naturally no one person knows it all and there will be mistakes made so we each have to make decisions based on what it best and the safest way for all.  What is that saying...all for one...one for all.

What I am hearing from relatives who are still working....They can't bring lunches, they can't go out for lunch.  Nothing in the refrigerator, watercoolers are shut down, and the guy 6 ft. down the line is coughing.  Even though they are distancing.... my relative has to walk past  the coughing man occassionally.  He says it's almost impossible to do it (social distancing) well.  I certainly don't have the answer to all this and am thankful that DH and I don't have to go out into all this.  He and I don't agree on this so, if you don't hear from me  for awhile, he's probably buried me in the back yard. LOL!!!!!   

Honored Contributor

On second thought....it may be me doing the burying!

dead husbands cartoon

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi @Mom2Dogs 

Glad your husband is in good health, and hopefully that will be the same over the coming years. Now as far as "working"?  My "working" years ended in 1991, by choice, and I have had no desire to "work" since then.

Hey, if he is eager to get back to work, good for him. For me working in a factory for 33 years is not something most people I know, would want to continue as long as they were able. I am guessing the "work" your husband is eager to go to again, probably is something he either likes, and/or enjoys. Me! Nah.

Retired at 52 and have never regretted that decision. In early June I will be 81, and hopefully back to ice skating. That, similar to your husband, is what I am eager to do. Is it "work"? Depends on one's definition  of that word. I consider it a hard "workout", but not a job(work).

Right now I am healthy and very physically fit and plan on staying that way, my health permitting. 

Thank you for your post and tell your husband "I get it", kinda!

hckynut 🏒

hckynut(john)