Honored Contributor

🇺🇸 🎖🎉🗽⛱🌞 Enjoy Your Weekend

I hope that everyone finds some time this weekend to enjoy having an extra day off and time to ponder why we have that extra day off - without arguing about who and what exactly we're honoring and who we're not/"shouldn't be" honoring, and why it's not a "happy" celebration.

We have few national holidays in the sense of "a nation" (as one) in its observations and celebrations. I'm thinking those occasions should be giving people reasoned food for thought, and not telling them there shouldn't be anything "happy" about this holiday weekend, and they're ignorant and disrespectful for honoring  "the wrong people."

Should Memorial Day parade participants be expeted to wear black armbands and hold back tears throughout the day?  Should parents teach their kids this is The Sad Holiday? If someone approaches a veteran during these three days to thank them for their service, should the veteran chastise them for "getting it wrong?" Should people be afraid to thank a veteran because they don't know what their reaction should be?

Me? I'm an adult. I know very well what is being "celebrated" this weekend and Monday. I plan to enjoy myself in festive atmosphere without feeling guilty about it, as well as honor, in my heart, those who have given their lives (including the living who have also given so much) so that we can have three-day weekends.

Because I live in the US, IMO I should be able to do both without censure. 

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

Re: 🇺🇸 🎖🎉🗽⛱🌞 Enjoy Your Weekend

@Moonchilde wrote:

I hope that everyone finds some time this weekend to enjoy having an extra day off and time to ponder why we have that extra day off - without arguing about who and what exactly we're honoring and who we're not/"shouldn't be" honoring, and why it's not a "happy" celebration.

We have few national holidays in the sense of "a nation" (as one) in its observations and celebrations. I'm thinking those occasions should be giving people reasoned food for thought, and not telling them there shouldn't be anything "happy" about this holiday weekend, and they're ignorant and disrespectful for honoring  "the wrong people."

Should Memorial Day parade participants be expeted to wear black armbands and hold back tears throughout the day?  Should parents teach their kids this is The Sad Holiday? If someone approaches a veteran during these three days to thank them for their service, should the veteran chastise them for "getting it wrong?" Should people be afraid to thank a veteran because they don't know what their reaction should be?

Me? I'm an adult. I know very well what is being "celebrated" this weekend and Monday. I plan to enjoy myself in festive atmosphere without feeling guilty about it, as well as honor, in my heart, those who have given their lives (including the living who have also given so much) so that we can have three-day weekends.

@MoonchildeNobody is censuring anyone.

Not all veterans liked to be thanked, btw. And I've yet to hear of any vet chastising someone for "getting it wrong".  If anyone knows WHY a person is free to celebrate/not celebrate or express feelings it is a veteran.

So instead of pearl twirling over buzz words/phrases such as "happy"  "sad" "feeling guilty" etc. etc. etc.  (same song and dance every year) just do what you feel is best and let the rest be.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@MoonchildeNobody is censuring anyone.

Not all veterans liked to be thanked, btw. And I've yet to hear of any vet chastising someone for "getting it wrong".  If anyone knows WHY a person is free to celebrate/not celebrate or express feelings it is a veteran.

So instead of pearl twirling over buzz words/phrases such as "happy"  "sad" "feeling guilty" etc. etc. etc.  (same song and dance every year) just do what you feel is best and let the rest be.

@Cakers3, the CC forum never ceases to be about chastisement. "Pearl twirling", "buzz words." 

Yes, it IS the same song and dance every year on these forums during Memorial Day. It's people telling others how to feel and how to observe and who to observe in honor of, who not to, etc.

And it's precisely because of that I posted. "Let the rest be" would be another reason. I didn't feel like letting the rest be. 

Enjoy your Memorial Day...or not, as you choose.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

This argument always surfaces when Memorial Day approaches.   I agree, it would be great to see the verbal fisticuffs stop.   When this comes up I'm reminded of Solomon's Judgment.  

If we honor the day, shouldn't we be willing to give each person the benefit of the doubt rather than making the day the victim of a tug-of-war and casting a dark shadow on a meaningful holiday?  

Seems to me that if we genuinely want to offer our loving tribute to the fallen warriors, and also to their families and those who survived battle, it would be helpful not to sacrifice the beauty of this day to criticism, scolding, insults, patronizing and sarcastic jabs, and negativity.  

That diverts us from the meaning of this time of reflection, gratitude and, yes, grief.

It's not all or nothing.  We can honor the memory of fallen warriors, honor those who still walk this earth with us, and also enjoy the holiday. 

Some of the arguments read like one-upmanship, tossing insults around and making it sound like if a person feels uncomfortable with "happy Memorial Day" that means they think everyone should be dour, dark, moody, and sad.   Or if a person offers happy greetings that means they have no respect for those who gave their lives.   People take extreme "sides" and snarl with contempt as if their "side" is the superior one.  

Meanwhile, the memory of deceased men and women who endured horrific circumstances... and the compassionate condolences for their loved ones... are shoved to the sidelines so we can right-fight.

I replied, on another thread, that I admit I wince when I hear "happy Memorial Day" as a greeting.    Knowing the reason for the special day, what it was set aside for, and also feeling the greeting is similar to saying "happy funeral day," it's not my choice to use it.   But that's merely my choice, and I respect everyone else's decision.  

Each person will decide what they deem appropriate.    I will simply hope everyone takes time to learn about the history of Memorial Day since it has become so commercialized and hailed as barbecue weekend, sales galore, and vacay time.  

It's a personal decision.  Just my opinion, and I understand not everyone will agree, but I wish we could set aside divisiveness and sanctimonious self-righteousness and embrace the fact that most people offer any greeting with good intent and generous hearts.   If they wish to feel happy, or wish others happiness, then let's embrace that as a happy celebration of the magnificent and valuable lives of those who served our country and gave the ultimate sacrifice in battle.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Valued Contributor

I gave my husband, a Vietnam Era vet, a Marine veteran hat last year for his 70th birthday..at first he said he felt "weird" wearing it, as he remembered that when he was in (66-68), they weren't even allowed to wear their uniforms when traveling (to a base) as they were being verbally abused, spit on, etc..

But he did start wearing it & I am amazed how many "thank you for your service, sir" comments he gets..from YOUNGER kids..he didn't know what to say, at first, now he just smiles & says thank you very much..& he gets a little teary..thank you to those who recognize our vets!

Honored Contributor

That's exactly it, @dooBdoo - all of it, and my point, and why I was so annoyed.

On these forums, who and what is "right" and has "won/scored/got there first" has become more important than just about anything else. I'm like, fer cryin' out loud, Memorial Day observance shouldn't be a contest! People should observe this weekend in whatever way they choose without being virtually whacked over the head for it. It is certainly hoped that at some time during, adults pause to reflect on why we have this day and teach their children and grandchildren just why we have this long party weekend.

Honored Contributor

@Evie2004, IMO this country owes those Vietnam era vets extra for all the $:#€! they put up with from their own countrymen.

I think starting with the Iran and Iraq wars, families of veterans of those conflicts began to get a swell going of continued support for our armed services that's continued to this day.  That's a lovely story - lucky husband ;-)

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

well said @Cakers3

as always the voice of distinction, honesty and boat loads of integrity.  your opinion is valued and respected.  don't be a stranger! 

oh btw, i get so tired of being scolded or chastised for a better word on any and practically all topics.  lol

Honored Contributor

Be safe, enjoy your weekend,

Image result for memorial day tribute images

Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo You write so well that I always enjoy reading your posts.I have to agree with everything you wrote.I think that most of our remembrances these days have just turned into a marketing opportunity.