Honored Contributor

Moving threads to another forum

I'd like the mods to consider that sometimes people start a thread here in Community, because it seems to get the largest amount of views and responses, and it brings in a bigger cross section of people than most of the 'smaller' forums.

Sometimes a poster is looking for advice/information/input from a much wider range of posters than can be found in say, holiday or home or jewelry, on a more general subject in that category. 

A thread on favorite paint color was removed to 'Home' when maybe the poster was looking for a broader audience here, for example. 

And if they are going to move threads that are posted here, to a more specific forum, please do it consistently (like why are there multiple Memorial Day threads here and not moved to 'Holiday').

I know I sometimes post things here specifically because I'm looking for a better cross section of responders than I'll find in the smaller, more defined forums. When the topic is broad enough, I wish they would leave it here, or be more consistent with the 'moving'.

Respected Contributor

Re: Moving threads to another forum

[ Edited ]

I  think it's futile (and probably unnecessary) to nitpick about threads in CC that belong in other forums since 99% of the threads started in CC can easily be assigned to another forum.,.. and if all those threads were placed in other forums, I don't think there'd be a heckuva lot going on in CC, so why not welcome all?

What irritates me is when a poster in CC makes a point of suggesting to someone who has chosen to post in CC, whose thread could be in another forum, that the poster "should have posted" in the other forum. I have noticed there is a bias in doing so... in that regular posters in CC are never told to post elsewhere. It's only the posters who are not regularly in CC who are told to post in another forum.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio  In regard to the consistency issue, I suspect the mods move threads as their time permits. Hence, inconsistency arises due to some workdays being busier than others for the mods.

As for the Paint Color thread,  this is a bit far afield from your post but sometimes there are so many "what are your favorite" or similar types of questions that I feel like this is a "survey" board. Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

I wonder how much it really matters.  I know I rarely sign into any specific forum categories, yet here I am.

Every once in a while when I want to start a new thread I choose a category because that's the only way I know to start anew, but the only other times I look into a narrower listing would be to took for an interesting recipe.

Esteemed Contributor

I think the "post in the correct category" and moving threads is rediculous.  If I want to ask you about a Recipe it has a category, if I want to know how you beloved cat is doing, it has a different category and, oh, just how are you feeling since you fell yesterday?   Well, that goes in the Wellness category!  

Much ado about nothing.  

Not all posters read all the catefories so you post where you know your friend posts!  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mominohio wrote:

Sometimes a poster is looking for advice/information/input from a much wider range of posters than can be found in say, holiday or home or jewelry, on a more general subject in that category. 

A thread on favorite paint color was removed to 'Home' when maybe the poster was looking for a broader audience here, for example. 

I know I sometimes post things here specifically because I'm looking for a better cross section of responders than I'll find in the smaller, more defined forums. When the topic is broad enough, I wish they would leave it here, or be more consistent with the 'moving'.

I really don't agree with your request for this question to be left alone and not moved.

It's a request for a paint color.  It belongs in Home. Now seriously, who knows specificiallly what a paint color is named.  Unless one has an entire board of paint colors displayed in their home (unlikely) or has paper paint chips laying around (I don't), no one will really truly give you their opinion.

I'm sure they'll be answers like, blue, light blue, baby blue, navy but those aren't specifically paint colors.  Don't forget each paint manufacturer has their own names too.

Honored Contributor

@Zhills wrote:

I think the "post in the correct category" and moving threads is rediculous.  If I want to ask you about a Recipe it has a category, if I want to know how you beloved cat is doing, it has a different category and, oh, just how are you feeling since you fell yesterday?   Well, that goes in the Wellness category!  

Much ado about nothing.  

Not all posters read all the catefories so you post where you know your friend posts!  

@Zhills That's exactly not what this board is about, nor organized for.   And unfortunately, not everyone posts about sick pets or pets that passed away in the appropriate pet forum, although I wish they would since we have a pet forum.  Those threads are real downers, even the titles, and there are days when I'd prefer not to see them, let alone read them.   After all, we do have a forum set up for that kind of thing - pets!

And I wish all the "illness" threads asking for well wishes for someone would be in the Among Friends forum.  Those can be real downers too.

Honored Contributor

I appreciate the relocation of misplaced threads. There was a time when one had to scroll through recipes, games...to find a thread of interest. I care nothing at all about another poster's favorite anything and I can't think they care about mine.

Honored Contributor

I actually appreciate it when a thread is moved to its more targeted forum.  A bigger audience in Community Chat is not necessarily an audience that would care, or have any insights, or experience about the specific topic.  Community Chat may give it more "eyes" on the question/remark, but that doesn't mean it would get more helpful or interested "eyes" that can contribute a response.

I think, more times than not, those interested in that topic already routinely check out that specific thread.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

"MAY 2017 - What's Cooking - where did the last month go. "  Over in 'Kitchen', I have no idea why this is allowed to stay month after month.

Should be over in 'Among Friends'. What this month after month forum has to do with Q's products or what the normal Kitchen questions, ideas, advice, tips, how to cook, etc. had to do with Kitchen I never could figure out.

People just like to post their pictures and internet pictures of flowers and faraway places I guess.