Respected Contributor

Re: English Must Not Be Their First Language

Yet another reason for Proofreading.  Admitting that I am not the bes writer.  That is amusing on the surface because it is not conveying a helpful message.

More directly is is not amusing because it is directly sabotaging the effort to sell a product.

The Selller has, by not having their add proof read LOST PROFIT.

It is a fact.  People will judge.  They must make choices to survive and taken at face value,  the words of the seller themselves may make people NOT want their product. 

If a Million people read that product description and just 25% do not buy it BECAUSE of That Descriptopn that is 250,000 units of product unsold directly because of the writing. 

Respected Contributor

I'm not sure that English is the first language in the US, either.  Some stuff I read is garbled garbage.

Honored Contributor

At least it's in English.  It could be only in Mandarin.  Native: 873 million 2nd: 178 million TOTAL: 1.051 billion speak this.  If a bunch of Aliens came to earth to study our language.  Mandarin would be  the language of Earthlings.

Super Contributor

@Cats3000 wrote:

I'm not sure that English is the first language in the US, either.  Some stuff I read is garbled garbage.

Amen to that!

Man plans. God laughs.
Trusted Contributor

@PickyPicky3: I guess it depends on the language. Asian languages like Chinese or Turkish, to name 2, have a completely different sentence structure than Indo-European languages like English so it is very difficult to translate them. I suspect the computer does word-for-word translations so they often make no sense. The old cliche, "loses something in the translation" comes to mind.

Esteemed Contributor

I have seen that too.  Just have to work with it.

BF teaches researches and catalogues Chinese.  I was floored that she has a lot of problems with ancient script.

Esteemed Contributor

As a lifelong student of studying the French language, I long ago learned that direct translations are impossible, and often quite funny. When translating, it's important to turn to those who have direct and exact knowledge of the language.