Honored Contributor

Re: Emotional Support Service Dogs???

Where I once worked, a doctor had to sign a sheet my company (worked for) faxed to the doctor's office. Doctor's had to send it back that the person who'd requested a companion/health dog was truly needed.

My little dog helps me out by being my little buddy. I'd be lost w/o her companionship. My back limits what I can do, so we're home together mostly now. There has to be others that are kind of in the same boat.

She of course, doesn't go where dog's aren't allowed, never to a restaurant.

However, if someone truly needed a companion dog, I'd not want to say no to that.

I need to add, she goes with us to the nursing home and dad's so happy to see and be kissed by her. As we walk to his room, it puts smiles on some of the other patient's faces. She will see them, if they invite her over to their wheelchairs. Some of these people may not have any or very many visitors. I would like to think she's helping them too.

Honored Contributor

On 6/14/2014 sidsmom said:

I totally 'get' a service dog providing a physical need...dogs are more agile & can bark & carry things in their mouth...not many other domesticated animals can do that. ..but for emotional need?

Maybe it's not a dog that would calm me. Could be....a large snake draped on my neck. Would I be given the same rights as a support dog owner if I went into a restaurant? Physical support is much different than emotional support.

Emotional illness is just as real as physical ailments are.

Are you joking about the snake? My reaction to that would be similar to my reaction to the guys who attempted to open carry in TX restaurants - yuck.

Honored Contributor

Emotional support dogs and psych service dogs are NOT the same thing. A service dog, whether physical or mental, is covered under federal ADA laws for being in public. If someone does not understand why someone with mental issues does not benefit from a companion animal then I think it's because you or someone close to you has not suffered mental illness or impairment
Respected Contributor

On 6/14/2014 NoelSeven said:
On 6/14/2014 terrier3 said:
On 6/14/2014 azterry! said:
On 6/14/2014 happy housewife said:

I wonder if those getting their panties in a knot over this discussion are because they are ones who are abusing this?

I doubt it.

I guess you could use the same (flawed) logic and suggest all those who are so skeptical are human and animal haters.

The posters questioning who is entitled to service dogs and people with dogs they see in public are in the same group of posters who question other shoppers' food choices and what currency they use to pay the cashier.

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

That list goes on and on, questioning whether someone is needy enough to use a disabled parking space, get good stamps, etc.

Let me get this straight. Are you actually including kdgn in this rant? Because she believes that the phonies need to be stopped as well.

Respected Contributor

On 6/14/2014 bikerbabe said: Emotional support dogs and psych service dogs are NOT the same thing. A service dog, whether physical or mental, is covered under federal ADA laws for being in public. If someone does not understand why someone with mental issues does not benefit from a companion animal then I think it's because you or someone close to you has not suffered mental illness or impairment

Bikerbabe, I hope you saw my #50.

Trusted Contributor

Unless the ADA regulations have changed recently, "emotional support companions" are not considered service animals in the eyes of the law. The ADA specifies that service animals must be trained to perform specific tasks that the owner cannot easily do (emotional support does not count).

Unfortunately, so many people are declaring their animals to be service animals that actual service animals and the people who need them are met with skepticism and cynicism.

Honored Contributor

On 6/14/2014 scotttie said:
On 6/14/2014 bikerbabe said: Emotional support dogs and psych service dogs are NOT the same thing. A service dog, whether physical or mental, is covered under federal ADA laws for being in public. If someone does not understand why someone with mental issues does not benefit from a companion animal then I think it's because you or someone close to you has not suffered mental illness or impairment

Yes, I did Scotttie. Animals are amazing, aren't they?

Honestly, my post was in response to sidsmom. What was that thread yesterday? What sets you off? My hot button is wounded veterans and people who seem unwilling to understand how they suffer.

Respected Contributor

On 6/14/2014 bikerbabe said:
On 6/14/2014 scotttie said:

Yes, I did Scotttie. Animals are amazing, aren't they?

Honestly, my post was in response to sidsmom. What was that thread yesterday? What sets you off? My hot button is wounded veterans and people who seem unwilling to understand how they suffer.

Thanks Bikerbabe. I fully support wounded veterans. My DH is a decorated Viet Nam veteran. He is in touch with several others I know someone who is a chaplain (or used to be) to veterans hospitals.

When I made my first post I did not realize that those with PTSD use the service dogs and others with true mental issues also. All the more reason for them to be protected by weeding out these false websites.

I'm hoping your DH continues to make progress with this terrible trauma. {#emotions_dlg.wub}

Esteemed Contributor

I do not believe it is a matter of judging if the person needs the animal (physically, emotionally etc.), it is a matter of knowing the animal is properly trained for the environment. It becomes a public safety issue as well as common courtesy when animals do not know how to behave or react in the situation they are being put into. Service and therapy dogs are trained and tested so handlers and the public know what to expect.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

On 6/14/2014 KYToby said:

Unless the ADA regulations have changed recently, "emotional support companions" are not considered service animals in the eyes of the law. The ADA specifies that service animals must be trained to perform specific tasks that the owner cannot easily do (emotional support does not count).

Unfortunately, so many people are declaring their animals to be service animals that actual service animals and the people who need them are met with skepticism and cynicism.

...only by small minded busy-bodies!