Respected Contributor

Re: Emotional Support Service Dogs???

There is a little boy that lives up the lane from us that has Asperger's syndrome. He has a companion dog (a Golden Retriever) that goes to school with him and has for several years. If anybody has ever complained about it, I haven't heard it.

Respected Contributor

For those that complain about someone being allergic to a "faux" service dog, wouldn't they be just as allergic to a "real" service dog?

My edt.

Respected Contributor

On 6/14/2014 minkbunny said:

For those that complain about being someone being allergic to a "faux" service dog, wouldn't they be just as allergic to a "real" service dog?

Yep!

Super Contributor

I would assume if it were legitimate, the dog would have been well trained and not wondering around barking. I wouldn't have a problem with it if it were legitimate and the dog was trained. I saw an article recently about a woman who faked this by putting a vest or something on the dog to make it look official but it wasn't.

Super Contributor

On 6/14/2014 minkbunny said:

For those that complain about someone being allergic to a "faux" service dog, wouldn't they be just as allergic to a "real" service dog?

My edt.

this is a good point.

Respected Contributor

The primary concern is control. Does the owner have control of the animal? Pets can be home trained and be just as controlled as if professional trained.

In fact, service dogs are not required to be on a leash because control supercedes.

edited by me

Honored Contributor

What kind of training do "" emotional support dogs"" get? What is the criteria is which you get one? Can any Dr. Just write an RX for these dogs?
Super Contributor

My neighbor teaches at a school for children with learning disabilities, ADHD, anxiety issues, students on the autism spectrum including Asperger's and they have a sweet therapy dog. It is a yellow Labrador retriever and from what my neighbor says the dog had to go through special, intense training to become a therapy dog. Not all dogs have the personality to become a therapy dog. The dog goes from classroom to classroom and visits the students daily. Students reach down and pet her. She says it is such a calming environment. Apparently the owner of the therapy dog breeds and trains dogs for this purpose. Some are just pets and some are trained to be therapy dogs.

Regular Contributor

I don't know about emotional support dogs but some people have dogs for other reasons except blindness. The other day a man in a power chair had a very large lab which he said could pick up things, get things for him and he could use it for support when he tried to get from the chair to something else. It was well behaved and was allowed to be petted unlike a seeing eye dog. Near where I live there is a group which trains Great Danes to be literally support dogs -- they can be leaned on for balance and help the person to stand and I guess walk. They are seen being pre-trained as young dogs in such places as Walmart.

I remember a movie where the lawyer had a dog and insisted on keeping him in the courtroom with him. The dog was acting strangely and he wanted to leave -- in the end it turned out the dog was telling him he was about to have a seizure.

I will admit we had a lady in our community who had a so called service dog which she said she trained herself for some psychiatric problem -- to be honest the dog was certainly friendly but she never had it groomed and it was a mess/

Have known people who pretrain seeing eye dogs and they even as puppies wear a vest and act politely -- they are only allowed to be petted for a few months and then no one is allowed to touch them because they have to concentrate on their job.

Honored Contributor

I totally 'get' a service dog providing a physical need...dogs are more agile & can bark & carry things in their mouth...not many other domesticated animals can do that. ..but for emotional need?

Maybe it's not a dog that would calm me. Could be....a large snake draped on my neck. Would I be given the same rights as a support dog owner if I went into a restaurant? Physical support is much different than emotional support.