Honored Contributor

Re: Emotional Support Service Dogs???

My friend has a friend who has one of these dogs, she takes her in restaurants and on airplanes. The dog is very well behaved but if you actually read the law about this it does not include the right to take the dog everywhere and anywhere you go. By law - this does not allow any special access to places like grocery stores and restaurants. It does force owners to allow a person to rent in a no dogs apartment . We went shopping once and she brought the dog into a restaurant and the person in charge asked her to take the dog outside - she said She is a service dog - and he answered What kind of service does she do? Then he showed the owner a copy of the law saying it does not allow access to restaurants.

So now my friend is trying to get one of these for her dog - and geeze louise - her dog is a nipper so that should be interesting.

Valued Contributor

Here is a link to the info https://adata.org/publication/service-animals-booklet

I think people trying to pass off a dog as a true service dog should be fined -- it is going to make it more and more difficult for those who really do have a service dog.

Hey you, get off of my cloud...
Honored Contributor

On 6/14/2014 Photo Donna said:

Here is a link to the info https://adata.org/publication/service-animals-booklet

I think people trying to pass off a dog as a true service dog should be fined -- it is going to make it more and more difficult for those who really do have a service dog.

I completely agree with you!!

Honored Contributor

On 6/14/2014 Photo Donna said:

they should be fined...

Honored Contributor

An insult to both the animals who are rigorously trained to serve as AUTHENTIC service animals AND the legitimate users of their services. You bet the phonies should be fined!
Honored Contributor

My first thoughts were that it's ok if and when a person truly needs a 'friend'/support to be with almost everywhere. With a doctor's note and/or some type of permit. As long as the dog is trained not to bite, nip, growl, bark, etc. And as long as it is trained not to potty everywhere, too. As far as cats, I doubt if a cat would like to be caged in a carrier and taken everywhere all day long.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

Oh, and they should be very clean, too. As with service dogs. They are always very clean and well mannered.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

all kinds of people are getting them. a person I know has a bad case of phorisis, (patchy skin) and she got into a no dogs rental with her "service" dog.

She's a total user though.

Trusted Contributor

This is a rising problem. Anyone can buy some kind of official-looking vest for their pet online, to pass them off as a service dog. People are trying to pass off their pets as service/support dogs to go camping, on planes, restaurants, etc. It's so confusing for business owners to try to figure out their legal obligations, that it's easier to just let these animals in-these people know that and it makes it easier to abuse the system.

Honored Contributor

They are not all fakes so let us please clear up this misunderstanding. Yes some are not properly trained and there are bogus websites where you can pay to get support dog gear. Some are legit and properly trained. There are emotional support and psychiatric service dogs for example for veterans with PTSD and TBI who suffer anxiety attacks when trying to integrate back into society. The dogs can help tremendously.