Respected Contributor

Re: Emergency/evacuation kit

We keep duffle bags with a first aid kit, two hundred dollars cash 2 sets of clothes (we have one for winter and one for summer. Antibacterial wipes,flashlight, crank radio. Nobody in  my house is on medication so we basically have aspirin and tylenol.Blankets and a map. Copies of our ID's etc.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just don't advertise on the net/show pictures if you have a lot of food/etc. Tell people who you trust only. One board I lurk on, they showed pictures of their massive stockpile of food.etc

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Somewhat. I do know where our metal box is to grab with important documents in it and my medicines are all in one place too to grab.

Really if something happens its best to get out fast, and not ponder inside grabbing everything and risking your life. Things can be replaced, your life cant. Of course i do not live in areas that have disasters all of the time, but anything can happen anywhere at any time to anyone.

Here in PA I am more stocked up in Winter worrying about having food, water, and my medcines on hand. (Because of getting out during snowstorms). We do have a Subaru which is great in snow, but they dont plow here half the time and with my bad back I cant be going out running in ice and snow (My husband does it). Having come from the city orginially, i am not used to the fact that you have to drive 20 miles for stuff like here! lol.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Respected Contributor

We have 3 bags (one in each of our cars and one by the garage) what if you can't get home to get your bag? I rotate the stuff in each bag so the food doesn't go bad.

Esteemed Contributor

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

My Son-in-law is the Director for our County's Emergengency Management Office and he insisted we make one.Smiley Happy

@Nataliesgramma

Hi...any chance you have a list from him that you could cut/paste into this thread...or, if not, I'd be interested to know if there's anything he recommended that hasn't already been mentioned here?  TIA 

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Honored Contributor

MadameQueen wrote:

PenneyT wrote:

Get a tote/duffle bag. In it, put:

*pair of socks, t-shirt, and underwear for each person (in zip lock bag)

*toothpaste

*toothbrush for each

*bar of soap

*spare glasses 

*roll of toilet paper (flatten it down and put it in a zip lock bag)

*spare set of keys

*list of emergency contacts

*cell phone charger

*flashlight and batteries

*small first aid kit

*garbage bags

*Cash: small denominations and quarters

*reading material, paper, pen, deck of cards, etc.

(I also have a small Bible)

This is a bare-basics list, but it should help in a pinch!

*AND DON'T FORGET MEDS and your purses and wallets!

And make up a bag for any pets and rotate the food and water. 

It's like insurance: You don't ever want to use it, but it sure gives peace of mind. Smiley Surprised)

Exactly what PenneyT said; plus water, canned tuna, peanuts, hand crank radio and baby wipes and sweat suit type clothes (depending on season).  We rotate some of the supplies every few months.  Also don't forget to keep the car gassed up.  We keep the bag with the cat carriers.  I worked in downtown Manhattan during both WTC attacks as well as a couple of blackouts so I'm always ready to go. 

These are excellent tips.

I would add that there are different types of emergency evacuations.  I had to move to a hotel for a month or so because a tornado ripped off part of my roof.  In that case, I didn't need all these items listed.

So I'd suggest one plan for a move to live temporarily in a fully-equipped dwelling and another for a major disaster in which you'd need to have all the essentials to take care of yourself for an undetermined length of time.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Don't forget your important papers, keys, garage door remote, jewelry and photos you cannot replace.

When we lived in NC I boxed up important irreplaceables that could be picked up in a hurry

Highlighted
Super Contributor

You can check out FEMA.gov for information on how to build a kit and disaster preparedness.  

As @dooBdoo said, it depends on if you want to shelter in place or evacuate.  Hoping none of us will have to do either. 

Esteemed Contributor

@MacDUFF wrote:

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

My Son-in-law is the Director for our County's Emergengency Management Office and he insisted we make one.Smiley Happy

@Nataliesgramma

Hi...any chance you have a list from him that you could cut/paste into this thread...or, if not, I'd be interested to know if there's anything he recommended that hasn't already been mentioned here?  TIA 

This is the page he suggested for us to make our kit from...www.ready.gov/kit.....