Super Contributor

Emergency Call Buttons - Elderly

Hi everyone,

Looking for some input/advice from those that have any experience or knowledge with these little devices (the buttons that people can wear if they have a medical or other emergency).

My mom lives alone in FL and has had several (i.e., about 5 or 6) serious medical emergencies in the past three years. She always waits until it is almost too late to call 911 and one time she blacked out, fell and broke her back and pelvis.

I have visited several assisted living facilities in Florida and even had the folks from the ALF go to my mom's home to speak to her. However, she refuses to budge from her home.

I mentioned that I wanted her to AT LEAST wear a call button and she gave me the "pffft" attitude on the phone. I am just going to purchase one for her and pay for the monitoring. Please provide any recommendations. Many thanks!

Re: Emergency Call Buttons - Elderly

Don't do it.

They're nothing like the more commonly seen similar items. Whereas the "monthly fee" devices maintain an account with addresses where the wearer lives, these operate off of cell towers and ring into the nearest 911 center as a disconnected cell phone with no information provided at all. It displays on the 911 screen as a disconnected cell phone. If your loved one hits their button but cannot talk, there is NOTHING 911 can do to help. At. All.

Find the local 911 non emergency number and see what options they have for your loved one in regards to next generation 911 technology. Do they have Smart911? Do they have the ability to store notes on an address/phone number when it calls in?

Esteemed Contributor

@Allegedly Doubt she would wear it.

Honored Contributor

I'd like information on this, too.  My father lives in an independent living facility.  He has his own apt. and gets three meals a day but basically is on his own.  It's been great for him so far, because the main help he really needed was getting his meals.

He fell twice yesterday and couldn't get up by himself.  Lift Assist (the fire department) had to be called to get him up.  The second time they came they called for an ambulance and he went to the hospital.  It ended up being a side effect to Lyrica, which was a new drug he had been taking for a week.  They had doubled his dose two days ago, and he was having horrible side effects to it.  He's getting out of the hospital tomorrow.

I think he needs to get a Life Alert button to wear or something.  I didn't realize they only rang into 9-1-1 as a disconnected cell phone.  There must be something better.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

I had the Lifeline Medical Alert System in my house for about three years. It gave me a way I could call out for help if I needed it from anywhere in and near my house. I live alone and this device gave me the security I needed at the time. 

Some facts about this device:

-Must pay monthly fee and you need a landline phone for service.

-Must wear the necklace pendant at all times. It's the only way you can call out for help other than standing right by the control box where there is also a call button.

-Once per month the Lifeline monitoring service people buzz your control box to make sure it is in working order. If you are not there, they(robo voice) will leave a message on your control box asking you to push the button. Once pushed, they will respond with an all-clear response from a live human being.

-The Lifeline service will never interrupt your personal phone calls while this system check is being done.

I never had to use mine and eventually I stopped the service. What else do you need to know?Woman Happy

Respected Contributor

We just got my dad the Life Alert system. 

I talked to the fire department in his town and they said it was a good system to have. 

He had a heart attack and a stroke about two months ago, and it gives us peace of mind.  He wears the necklace 24/7 - at first, he wasn't thrilled with it.  He did get used to it.  It has GPS capability. 

They have all his medications on file. 

Trusted Contributor

5Star Response from GreatCall (the Jitterbug people). GPS built in. You set up a profile with all medical info, meds list, contact info, doctor/hospital, etc. $14.95 per month. Excellent experience with it.

Honored Contributor

@bri20 wrote:

We just got my dad the Life Alert system. 

I talked to the fire department in his town and they said it was a good system to have. 

He had a heart attack and a stroke about two months ago, and it gives us peace of mind.  He wears the necklace 24/7 - at first, he wasn't thrilled with it.  He did get used to it.  It has GPS capability. 

They have all his medications on file. 

I'm glad to know it has a GPS system, but it still wouldn't know his apt. number.  My father is 88 years old and just moved to this facility a year ago.  He still hasn't memorized his new address.  Maybe they could check all the apts. there that had a Life Alert though.  He does have pull cords in each room of his apt. to call mgmt. for help.  He would need to be able to get to them though.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

My sister has a life alert. She has MS. She falls a lot and then cannot get up. She is alone all day. 

This device has been great. The

folks at life alert have all of her info which includes the names and a numbers of her emergency contacts. 

They call 911 first then the contacts. 

I can't say enough good things about this device. It has been so helpful to my sister. 

Trusted Contributor

My 66 year old Aunt, has serious hip issues, lives alone, and is a fall risk. She may need a total hip, but, that's another issue. 

She was persuaded to try a home monitoring system. She researched the options and chose Medical Guardian. Highly rated, no contracts required. Very easy to set up. I believe they have a few different plans. 

Try typing "top,rated medical,alert systems",  in your browser.  You can comparison shop.