Respected Contributor

Did anyone else get this email from Covered CA regarding their "new feature"???? I wonder how may hoops I will have to jump through to switch back to my PCP. Not happy at all with this change.

Snip:

"...Beginning January 1, 2017 your health care insurance carrier will match you with a Primary Care Physician. Once your PCP has been matched you will be able to change to another physican at any time you choose.."

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Respected Contributor

What is the point?  If you can change back to whatever doctor you choose, why couldn't you just stay with the doctor you had chosen?

Sounds like another boondoggle.  Just heard on the radio that in 2017 Aetna will pull out of the the health care  exchanges in every state but two.  Didn't hear what two that was.

Respected Contributor

@minkbunny wrote:

What is the point?  If you can change back to whatever doctor you choose, why couldn't you just stay with the doctor you had chosen?

Sounds like another boondoggle.  Just heard on the radio that in 2017 Aetna will pull out of the the health care  exchanges in every state but two.  Didn't hear what two that was.

I don't understand the reasoning behind it. It took a while to find a good PCP. If I get booted from her patient list I may not be able to see her again.

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Respected Contributor

Re: Email from Covered CA

[ Edited ]

@minkbunny....Delaware, Iowa, Nebraska and Virginia. I can't tell you how happy I am to be out of Covered CA. What a nightmare. I recently turned 65, so am on a Medicare Adv. plan now.

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Respected Contributor

Thanks,  I am also on Medicare and was THRILLED the day I turned 65.  Best insurance on Earth.  Not sure why the new sysem couldn't have been patterend after it.  And the website is terrific !

Honored Contributor

Re: Email from Covered CA

[ Edited ]

@minkbunny wrote:

Thanks,  I am also on Medicare and was THRILLED the day I turned 65.  Best insurance on Earth.  Not sure why the new sysem couldn't have been patterend after it.  And the website is terrific !

I have worked in the HI industry and MANY fellow employees believe that Medicare for All is the way to go.

Basic insurance coverage for everyone, with the choice to purchase "medi-gap" type plans. This works in many other countries.

As someone who has sold marketplace insurance in NY, MANY people don't sign up for a primary physician. They think that the insurance is just for a catastrophe. ACA was set up in part to make sure that people see their primary MDs on a regular basis and get screened for illnesses. It costs less when people get treated early and also get advice on how to stay healthy.

Valued Contributor

@minkbunny wrote:

That would have been the ultimate, but universal coverage would not fly with the congress. ACA was the next best option to get millions more covered.

It just shows how greedy the insurance companies are. Aetna's stock price was at $37.00 when the ACA was put into place.  Stock price now is $119.00.  Someone's making a ton of money- but I guess it's just not enough.

You have sacrificed nothing and no one.
Honored Contributor

@The Monkey on My Back wrote:

@minkbunny wrote:

I don't understand the reasoning behind it. It took a while to find a good PCP. If I get booted from her patient list I may not be able to see her again.

The reasoning is that many people don't choose a primary MD. They wait until they are very sick.

If they had a primary and went for regular check ups, a lot of costly illnesses might be prevented.

Aetna is playing hardball. They can't get what they want re: a totally separate issue, so they are throwing a tantrum. ACA has been VERY good for them...look at their stock prices.

Respected Contributor

@terrier3 wrote:

@The Monkey on My Back wrote:

@minkbunny wrote:

The reasoning is that many people don't choose a primary MD. They wait until they are very sick.

If they had a primary and went for regular check ups, a lot of costly illnesses might be prevented.

Aetna is playing hardball. They can't get what they want re: a totally separate issue, so they are throwing a tantrum. ACA has been VERY good for them...look at their stock prices.

It be more prudent to focus on those individuals rather than impose a blanket change in policy. 

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Honored Contributor

UHC does this to us every year - we call our regular PCP's office manager and she gets it changed back to our regular doctor.