Honored Contributor

I got an email the other day from A.J. Morgan, they sell nonprescription glasses. I have an account with them as I have bought a couple of readers. Anyway, the email didn't look right to me. It wanted me to sign into my account, just the wording and look of the email made me suspicious. So I kept the email but didn't log into my account ( it did not go into my spam folder). I get an email from A.J. Morgan later in the afternoon saying they were compromised, don't open up the email you were sent. This came so much later in the day, you know there were people who did respond to the email, I feel bad for them. It was good that A.J. Morgan alerted their customers to what happened, but it probably came too late for some.

Respected Contributor

Yes, you are right to be suspicious.  There is usually something "off" about these spam emails, that sets off your suspicion.  

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

A few days ago I received an email from Bank of America that the B of A branch that I "frequent" was being closed and asked me to log into my account to see other branch options.

I don't have and never have had an account with B of A, so I would never have used any branch.

I forwarded the email to B of A's fraud dept. and they responded that it was indeed a fraud email.

Be diligent everyone!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

You can open the email...just don't click on any links it provides.  When I get, even a legitimate email from a place I do business with, I won't open the link.  I will go to it through my bookmarks I set up.

My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Honored Contributor

I appreciate the alert, @Jordan2.   I think all of these threads and posts about various email (and phone) scams and hoaxes are important reminders for all of us to keep our radar active and our instincts honed.  Some of the scams are professionally crafted and not easily spotted.  Thanks, again.👍

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo 

Hey Doobs!Heart

I agree and in our current world people are so frustrated and worried about COVID, job losses, missing family/friends time and the state of our society as a whole, that it would be easy to 'miss something' with these scam artist's tactics.

Experts at what they do and total scumbags!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@dooBdoo 

Hey Doobs!Heart

I agree and in our current world people are so frustrated and worried about COVID, job losses, missing family/friends time and the state of our society as a whole, that it would be easy to 'miss something' with these scam artist's tactics.

Experts at what they do and total scumbags!

Hey, @KingstonsMom (and the noble Kingston)!❤️

Well said.   I often wonder what good things these criminals could accomplish if only they turned their "creativity" and energy toward useful and positive endeavors.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

We never open email even if we know the sender in terms of banking, health care, etc.

We can see the body of the message anyway without opening so if it looks important, we call directly or go to the website and just delete.

Same with text messages.  I just delete without opening them.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Valued Contributor

I keep getting emails telling me my PayPal account has been suspended and to log into my account via the email. I knew something was wrong when I saw this so I did not log in, but I worry about people who got this and went ahead and logged in. What is aggravating is that PayPal is doing nothing about this. I get this email about once a week. Very scary.

Trusted Contributor

About five years ago, I have been scamed  once with an email, saying that I need to log in to my Apple account, because someone bought a game and an app and that I will need to report that.

Silly me back then, I said oh, its from Apple of caurse and I simply entered everything that they were asking.

They were very bad people, after few days Apple did telephoned me and told me that my credetials has been compemised.

I dont know how,  they bought the game and the app from Apple store and they were not able to use my credit card elsewhere.

Since then, I triple check about incoming mails advising me to enter my credentials which I never do. 

If they are coming from  pretending to be from Apple, I simply forward the email to theyr phsyhing address they gave me.

So ladies, do not, never give your credentials even if it from Apple. They told me also that Apple is not sending emails of that kind.

The Supreme Happiness Of Life Consists In The Conviction That One Is Loved.
I come from the beautiful and sunny Athens Greece