Honored Contributor

...from wife Portia -

Ellen DeGeneres burst into tears after receiving the "best" birthday gift from Portia de Rossi.

Portia appeared on Thursday's episode of The Ellen Show and surprised her wife with a very special 60th birthday present.

"It's your 60th birthday and this gift had to be really special and it had to represent who you are and what you really care about," Portia explained. "Not just now, but what you've always cared about. What you were influenced by and what has made you the amazing person that you are today. So, I combined that and questions when we first met like who's your idol? And what would you do if you weren't a talk show host?"

Portia continued, "So, I combined that with the fact that literally guys, for like the last two years, Ellen has said to me I feel like I'm not doing enough. Every day, almost. So, I put all that together and I got you this gift. So, let's see it – happy birthday!"

A video then played in which Portia talks about Ellen's hero, Dian Fossey, and her dedication to animals.

"So, for your birthday, Ellen, I am bringing you and your hero, Dian, together by building The Ellen DeGeneres Campus of the Dian Fossey Gorilla Fund," Portia said.

"Ellen, you will carry on Dian's legacy by giving them a permanent home in Rwanda. Now, you will join Dian as a protector and champion of these amazing animals, the mountain gorillas. Happy birthday!"

But that's not all! Portia then told Ellen, "I have also set up a foundation in your name called The Ellen DeGeneres Wildlife Fund. So, this is the first initiative for the fund that you can take this and do whatever you want with it. You've done amazing work for elephants and you can just continue and support whatever you want to do."

I wanted to post this not only because I like Ellen (happy birthday!) but I because adore gorillas and support anything and everything that supports them, and also animals in general, which her new foundation will go on to support. 

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Valued Contributor

@Moonchilde

What a fantastic gift!  I wish I had seen her receive it.

Thanks for sharing Moonchilde.

Honored Contributor

I think Ellen is an extremely kind person.

She donated 1 million dollars to a school in Detroit, because it was in such bad shape...How many people would do that?  She is the only one so far

Honored Contributor

@CaliKat If you google it, you will be able to see it. I chose not to include any links because of the daily game-playing here. But the video clip is very available on Youtube & elsewhere.

I don’t watch Ellen every day, but often catch the last 15 min or so before local news comes on, and that’s why I saw it today.

I didn’t even realize it was Portia who was on with her, as she looked fairly different to what her looks were during her active acting days/

Respected Contributor

https://youtu.be/XrTDwpLECtA

Wonderful @Moonchilde

-Do Not Copy Pls-
Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde I watched today because I wanted to see the guest who was on.

That was some gift. I think Portia wasn't wearing much makeup? And that's why she looked so different? She had laryngitis so maybe she hasn't been well.

I read Portia's book Unbearable Lightness. It's so good. 

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

What a wonderful loving gift!

@Moonchilde-

Thank you for mentioning this.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

@Moonchilde Forgive me if I posted the link.... I read your op wrong. I can remove if u wish. I logged out ie headache - very nice thing u posted.

-Do Not Copy Pls-
Honored Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21, yes, it was the no-makeup look that surprised me. Not that she ever overdid it, but almost none is kinda noticeable.

If anyone would like to see a fun movie - not sure where it’s available to view currently - google Sirens. It starred Hugh Grant, Sam Neill, Tara Fitzgerald (all names known to Anglophiles), Elle Macpherson, and Portia.

It’s a no-demands-on-the-viewer enjoyable social commentary on perhaps having ones’s broomstick wedged a little too tightly. I loved it, but the Very Moral might not approve.

Honored Contributor

wrote:

@Moonchilde Forgive me if I posted the link.... I read your op wrong. I can remove if u wish. I logged out ie headache - very nice thing u posted.

That’s fine with me, @cbrite ;-)

I have “friends & admirers” who will report things (including links) I have posted, and if someone else posts the same thing (verbatim) it’s not reported. I normally don’t care, but in this instance, with a happy, uplifting thread, I didn’t want to chance the link being deleted just cuz.

So I’m fine with having the link here.