Respected Contributor

This morning I was on elk watch. They wander by our house every morning. Today we had an invasion. We lost track of the exact number at 78. (I got a phone call that took me away from my observation.)

They have spent the entire day wandering and lounging in our neighborhood here in the mountains of Southern New Mexico. I think they are the most magnificent animals. Several of the bulls have begun growing this season's antlers. This is by far the largest group we have had. Old person with no tech skills can't post photos.

Honored Contributor

@On It    Would you believe that the highly paid news anchor at KOAT in Albuquerque recently referred to an elk that was being shown on video as a moose?  What an airhead with all the elk right here in our state.  I wondered if she'd ever been out of the city?

I've been up too the Valles Caldera many times and have seen elk grazing.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@On It    Would you believe that the highly paid news anchor at KOAT in Albuquerque recently referred to an elk that was being shown on video as a moose?  What an airhead with all the elk right here in our state.  I wondered if she'd ever been out of the city?

I've been up too the Valles Caldera many times and have seen elk grazing.

@Kachina624 , that's ridiculous that she didn't know the difference.  

Many years ago, DH and I went out to Jackson, WY/Teton/Yellowstone area as it's one of my favorite places to go and he'd never been there.  We went horseback riding and we saw so much nature around us, including many different types of wildlife.  We were lucky in that there were only 3 of us riding and the guy taking us on the trail ride told us that he once had some people from a "big city" that asked him when the elk were changing into moose.  We just howled.  He said, if I wrote a book about stupid comments, I'd be rich.

Respected Contributor

@On It , you are so lucky.  Elk are my favorite animals and I have a lot of recordings (back in the days of camcorders) of them wandering around from our trips out to Wyoming.

We were at a craft fair one day and an artist had a painting of a huge elk for sale, framed and ready to go.  It's hanging in our living room and it is beautiful.

They are magnificent creatures IMO.  But I also do like moose too.

Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624 

Watches?  I figured I'd find you somewhere around watches.  Have you bought any lately?  Just looking?  Im not even doing that.  If it was spring, I'd get out to my jeweler and get back into the battery changing business.  Every watch I own is dead and its a joy to activate the automatics.  Im glad I have over a dozen, so I can keep wearing.  C u back at the other place.  Smiley Happy

Time Saver: Post item numbers. TY
Honored Contributor
  1. So good to hear from you @jenagal .  I see you caught the secret word "watch".  Did you think Elk was a new and exciting brand?

The only watch I bought in the last few years was a  "smart" watch which I only use for the time but I look cool.

Honored Contributor

I had never seen an elk before until I moved to Colorado. There was an elk crossing the road and I told my friend:  "There are some strange looking cows (like the dairy kind) here in Colorado."  My friend replied:  "That's an elk not a milk cow."  LOL!Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee    They definitely look different from cows, deer or moose.  That big light colored butt is a dead give away plus they're very large but quite graceful.