Respected Contributor

@ms traditional wrote:

there apparently was a lot held back by the press. he had been in a wheelchair for some time and yet we never saw him that way.  i assume we'll learn more about his medical history in the days ahead.

Does it really matter?

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

Wow.

This hits hard.

He was an amazing voice of reason in this continued chaos.

#godspeed

I could not agree with you more.  He was an amazing man.  Respected by all.

Honored Contributor

@grandma r wrote:

May he rest in peace.

Our Congress has lost a huge part of its moral compass.

Very well said.

Respected Contributor

RIP Congressman.  You served your district and country well. You will be missed.

Honored Contributor

This is a quote from Representative Cummings about patriotism right now. It applies to everyone of all parties. We all want our democracy to stay strong and intact.

“When we’re dancing with the angels, the question will be asked, in 2019, what did we do to make sure we kept our democracy intact? Did we stand on the sidelines and say nothing?”

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

This is a quote from Representative Cummings about patriotism right now. It applies to everyone of all parties. We all want our democracy to stay strong and intact.

“When we’re dancing with the angels, the question will be asked, in 2019, what did we do to make sure we kept our democracy intact? Did we stand on the sidelines and say nothing?”

Shoekitty said

💔

Honored Contributor

Another peek into the kind of man Elijah Cummings was.  Taken from Joe Scarborough's column in today's The Washington Post.

"But Cummings, who died Thursday at the age of 68, did more than excel at constituent services; he provided hope to the hopeless. In May 2008, Cummings pulled up to a gas station where a botched robbery had left a man, who was taking his pregnant wife to the hospital, stabbed and struggling for life. Instead of fleeing danger, Cummings got down on his knees and aided that dying father in the last moments of his life.

"Cummings held the man’s head in his arms and tried to stop the bleeding as the father-to-be struggled to make sure his wife and unborn son were safe. As they waited for the ambulances to arrive, Cummings prayed over the victim. He recalled that although the dying man did not speak English well, he gently squeezed his hand when he heard the name 'Jesus.' Cummings would later say that while kneeling down in that gas station parking lot, he witnessed 'a struggle for life so intense that I felt my own breath taken away.' ”

Esteemed Contributor

My beloved grandson and his fiancée lived in Congressman Cumming's district. I told him how honored he was to have this congressman as his representative. My grandson understood the immense value of Cummings' representation. I am so glad that my grandson was able to experience the representation of such a magnificent man.

Frequent Contributor

I see how busy the moderators have been on this thread. (Thank you.) That speaks to the impact he made in our country. If his message wasn't loud, clear and true, his passing wouldn't bring out such anger and disgrace.

His valiant life held meaning - he made a difference to so many who needed to be lifted up instead of dragged down. We gravely needed his sage voice of wisdom. He was a shining example of strength, dignity and compassion.

To those suffering, know that he was an inspiration and role model to many intelligent, caring young people who are fighting to make a difference right now. In service through government or in other ways throughout all of our communities.

Mr. Cummings' passing isn't the end of anything. Those glorious young people aren't going to forget, they're not going to quit and there are more of them born every day.

Don't know what to do with your grief? Be like Mr. Cummings.

Live your life with fairness and kindness.

Get involved. Volunteer.

Love each other without reservation.

Heart

Honored Contributor

Re: Elijah Cummings

[ Edited ]

@sunshine45 wrote:

you would think that those who did not respect him or did not think he did a good job for baltimore and a good job for his country would have just stayed off this thread. but of course, that did not happen. a simple rest in peace would have been sufficient if you even wanted to say something.......simple.

@sunshine45 

That is exactly what I did in the other thread about his death. Condolences to his family and all that loved this man. My comments transcend my political views. I can only speak for myself.

hckynut

hckynut(john)