Honored Contributor
On 12/4/2014 inallsincerity said:

I just bought another house, and was researching the same. This is my understanding: Gas heating is cheaper than electric heating, unless you have an electric heat pump instead. Also, radiant heating is more efficient than forced air heat, but then you don't have duct work unless you get a high velocity system, which isn't really very good yet. Also, electric heat is better for baking because the temperature is easier to control and maintain, but gas is better for a stove top. However, an induction cook top is a nice alternative in an all electric house. If you have an all electric house, solar is an option, but currently it takes a long time to see a return on your investment. {#emotions_dlg.blink}

The thing that makes summer air conditioning so expensive is the operation of the compressor. Heat pumps have a compressor that runs with the heat too so in essence, it runs 12 months a year. Electric companies love, love heat pumps because they Jack up the electric bill.

I have an evaporative cooler type of AC system which is only suitable for dry climates. It has no compressor. My summer electric and water bills increase by a total of about $20.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment