Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

@hopi wrote:

@gidgetgh wrote:

I read a lengthy post on Facebook this morning, from an Optometrist, about the possible dangers of looking at the sun during an eclipse, even through "approved" glasses. 

My husband and I are throwing our glasses away today and will be watching it on tv.

I know that when I was a child we watched through a pinhole in a box, but I'm too skittish to watch now, through a box or through glasses. 

Your thoughts?

The event is not as important as everyone makes it out to be.....

Very reminiscent  of the Stonhenge pagans 

"Momma always told me not to look into the eyes of the sun...

Blinded by the Light"

@hopi  What are the words to that song after the line  "blinded by the light"?  I have always just made up words while singing this song LOL because I couldn't tell what they were saying.  Do you know?  Who sings it?

@tends2dogs

manfred manns earth band......oh how i love this group since the 70s..... but did you know that bruce springsteen actually wrote and recorded this song first?

Blinded by the light
Revved up like a deuce
Another runner in the night

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Trusted Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

@hopi wrote:

@gidgetgh wrote:

I read a lengthy post on Facebook this morning, from an Optometrist, about the possible dangers of looking at the sun during an eclipse, even through "approved" glasses. 

My husband and I are throwing our glasses away today and will be watching it on tv.

I know that when I was a child we watched through a pinhole in a box, but I'm too skittish to watch now, through a box or through glasses. 

Your thoughts?

Blinded by the Light"

@hopi  What are the words to that song after the line  "blinded by the light"?  I have always just made up words while singing this song LOL because I couldn't tell what they were saying.  Do you know?  Who sings it?

Blinded by the light

Reved up like a deuce

Blinded by the light

Reved up like a deuce

By~~~Manfred Mann's Earth Band

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Eclipse revisited

[ Edited ]
Esteemed Contributor

I searched stores for 2 weeks that were to have the glasses. Even librarys who had them. No one has them. I didn't trust ordering online. I should have done it long ago. Plus Amazon had them in lots of glasses and were ripping people off the past week.And now i saw some were RE called. 

The pin hole in the box (or index card) with foil is to be put on the ground to reflect the other box (or index card) you hold out and look on the the ground to see it (on that half) You don't look through a box w a pin hole as far as I know. 

I just hope people don't try to take pics with cellphones when looking. Because youre not to do that with or without the glasses. 

At any rate I might make the one I mentioned with reflection boxes or index cards. If not will just watch it on tv or online. My husband will be at work, and hes not interested anyway.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@hopi, @jackiejenny, @sunshine45  Thank you so much!  Now I can sing the right words instead of my made up version LOL!!

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

@twins mom wrote:
Some glasses sold by Amazon for eclipse being recalled. PLEASE Be AWARE

@Twins Mom  This is true; I think another poster wrote that Amazon is just giving credit without customers having to return them.

I have also seen reports cautioning everyone about the glasses bought elsewhere and the word of advice is forego using them at all unless you can verify that they are approved by NASA?

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

All I'm concerned about is that I have a Dr. appt. at 3:40 that afternoon...and I hope the crazy traffic that we're expecting has cleared up!

Trusted Contributor

@hopi wrote:

@gidgetgh wrote:

Your thoughts?

Blinded by the Light"

Stonehenge pagans - say what???

Regular Contributor

I think you are wise not to take chances.  The market is flooded with fakes and to people like us, they appear to be real.  They say all the right things, they got that NASA approved down pat.  It's sad state of affairs but the reality is that there are a lot of thieves out there and they don't care who they hurt or blind.  

Respected Contributor

@gidgetgh, I so agree! So far from the latest weather forecast, it will still be "lights out" for the totality-with lots of cloud cover in the projected path.

In Florida, we are out of the path of totality, but I planned on watching it from NBC and TWC: I'm sure the NASA channel will cover it....

I can't have them, but in honor of the occasion, Dunkin Doughtnuts is releasing a special doughnut that day....have a party!

I plan on celebrating with 90% cocoa Lindt dark chocolate with roasted hazelnuts and blueberries!

Poodlepet2