Esteemed Contributor

My family will watch it on tv in our new solar eclipse t shirts (there are so many cute ones and r once they are on Prime, we'll have them in time).

Honored Contributor

I'll be watching it...live, not on tv.  I'm a science/nature lover and want to have the experience.  I'm not worried about what someone on Facebook said...who may or may not have the credentials claimed.  

We have the appropriate type of eyewear, not the sketchy stuff being sold on amazon by a third party seller.  

Honored Contributor

I'm reading an article in Physics Today, and it says that during the total phase of the eclipse, "it is safe to watch without any special equipment. The sky is approximately as dark as on a full moon night, and the corona is  only as bright as a full moon. however, during the partial phases,the sun is too bright to be viewed without protection" 

please everyone...if you're going to comment on this, don't quote anything you read on Facebook. Give scientific sources.   

Honored Contributor

@NycVixen wrote:

IMO there is no need to risk one's vision to see the eclipse. 

The way I see it, it's the SUN. If humanity had figured out a way to protect us from the sun's harmful rays, we wouldn't be so at risk for skin cancer etc.

No scientist truly knows how powerful and dangerous the sun really is since it hasn't been explored so how the heck are they supposed to make eclipse safe glasses?

Actually, there are many scientists who do know how powerful our sun is!  We are at risk for skin cancer because we don't take the necessary protection steps. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@RedHeadedWench wrote:

I am tired of hearing about the eclipse.

I have no interest in it, nor do I plan to even "watch" it. The schools are closed...and they took one of the teacher workdays away to accomodate it.

That being said, what irks me is all the merchandising going on with this naturally occurring event. T shirts, glasses, hotel rooms being booked up, etc etc..it has turned in to a money making scheme.

They have even added 160 state troopers to the roads that day in our state.

Ridiculous.

Why is it ridiculous?  If traffic is going to be abnormally heavy in your area that day, why shouldn't the traffic enforcement be amped up?  They do this all the time for holidays, sports events, and more. 

Honored Contributor

I don't care about the eclipse, but, that blood moon a while ago was fantastic!

Glad that was at night and down here in Tx we had a front row seat from our front porch.  Exciting !

Ky. people get the glory this time they will go dark for 2 min and 40 seconds.

Trusted Contributor

I'm looking forward to it so I checked this thread out. In grade school we had paper with a hole poked through it to view, from what little I can remember. I couldn't see it with our 'devices' used so I'm interested in seeing it this time around. 

Honored Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

I don't care about the eclipse, but, that blood moon a while ago was fantastic!

Glad that was at night and down here in Tx we had a front row seat from our front porch.  Exciting !

Ky. people get the glory this time they will go dark for 2 min and 40 seconds.

Sounds awesome!  My favorite science class was astronomy....not sure why I didn't take more advanced classes in it after high school...fascinating stuff. 

Honored Contributor

@StraytoStay wrote:

I'm looking forward to it so I checked this thread out. In grade school we had paper with a hole poked through it to view, from what little I can remember. I couldn't see it with our 'devices' used so I'm interested in seeing it this time around. 

I remember doing that!   Your view of this event will depend  somewhat on weather conditions in your area on the 21st. 

Should be clear skies where I'm going!

Trusted Contributor

I'm watching it. Have my glasses and am taking a vacation day from work. I plan to watch from my pool. We will have about 80% totality.

I'm really hoping for good weather!