Trusted Contributor

@MyGirlsMom

If you've ever worked in the banking industry you would have some understanding that this is exactly the beginning of how many find themselves in financial difficulty. Overspending. Living beyond one's means. Thinking "just one more charge". And it  isn't "more than they can afford to pay". Monthly payments often don't touch total. It happens. That's a fact.

Super Contributor

No I didn't.  I agree easy pay is a hook and a way to entice to buy. True it's interest free. I'd rather see lower prices or coupons though.

Honored Contributor

No one needs to justify using CCs or Easy Pay type payments *responsibly* to anyone, IMO, nor feel inferior or "out of control" or a spendthrift for doing so.

Not having a CC canceled due to inactivity, or paying one off every month are maintained per individual preference.

Keeping/improving one's credit score is another, different preference.

Part of a credit score is not just are you *able* to pay off a balance every month, they also want to gauge your ability to make *payments on a carried balance.* It doesn't have to be a large balance, but financial institutions want to see how people pay over time as part of a credit score as well. I have have had my credit score go *down* when I paid something off. If you google that, it's common.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Pliqueajour wrote:

No I didn't.  I agree easy pay is a hook and a way to entice to buy. True it's interest free. I'd rather see lower prices or coupons though.

Yes, as those are true savings/deal.

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

No one needs to justify using CCs or Easy Pay type payments *responsibly* to anyone, IMO, nor feel inferior or "out of control" or a spendthrift for doing so.

Not having a CC canceled due to inactivity, or paying one off every month are maintained per individual preference.

Part of a credit score is not just are you *able* to pay off a balance every month, they also want to gauge your ability to make *payments on a carried balance.* It doesn't have to be a large balance, but financial institutions want to see how people pay over time as part of a credit score as well. I have have had my credit score go *down* when I paid something off. If you google that, it's common.

All you need to ave to have an excellant credit score is a history of paying your debts on time and paying things off as contracted. We have only one thing open that carries a balalnce - a home equity line. We pay above the minimum every month on time and we have excellant credit. If you pay your car payments or your mortgage on time every month you do not need to carry balances on credit cards to establish your credit.

Esteemed Contributor

@DukeBlueNan wrote:

@MyGirlsMom

If you've ever worked in the banking industry you would have some understanding that this is exactly the beginning of how many find themselves in financial difficulty. Overspending. Living beyond one's means. Thinking "just one more charge". And it  isn't "more than they can afford to pay". Monthly payments often don't touch total. It happens. That's a fact.

@DukeBlueNan

Granted, overspending happens but I'm not about to blame it on easy pay.  Just like with a credit card, the purchaser MUST have some sort of self control.

One good aspect of easy pay is that it ends  no carrying a balance and interest into infinity. 

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

All you need to ave to have an excellant credit score is a history of paying your debts on time and paying things off as contracted. We have only one thing open that carries a balalnce - a home equity line. We pay above the minimum every month on time and we have excellant credit. If you pay your car payments or your mortgage on time every month you do not need to carry balances on credit cards to establish your credit.

I'm not speaking about establishing credit; I have excellent credit. But every time I pay something off my credit score fluctuates - sometimes up, sometimes down. I'm also not speaking about "good", "excellent", etc. I'm speaking of the actual numbers.

I'm also not out to determine who's "right" or "wrong" or who does/doesn't "know what they're talking about", just to forestall further posts in that direction. I also googled just before I posted and found ample support for what I posted. Still, I'm not out to convince anyone, just putting personal experience and online research out there.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all

i have an easy pay question.  i recently purchased 2 items on my phone and by default (my bad) it ordered them through easy pay.

now when i see the purchase price on my list of recent transactions, it is more than what the original purchase prices was.  

is there an upcharge for easy pay??? i used my listed credit card not the q card

thanks!