Honored Contributor

I have several gift cards I won't use.  Has anyone here ever cashed in an unwanted gift card to places that buy them?

I would appreciate all suggestions, comments and advice.  TIA!  Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

Re: EVER CASH IN GIFT CARDS?

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

I have several gift cards I won't use.  Has anyone here ever cashed in an unwanted gift card to places that buy them?

I would appreciate all suggestions, comments and advice.  TIA!  Woman LOL

my daughter did years ago

if you are not going to use them get the cash for them while you can, they are not doing any good sitting in your house 

Respected Contributor

Yes.  Did a bunch last year to get rid of a drawer full of unused gift cards to stores and restaurants we don't ever shop/eat at. 

You'll likely get somewhat less than face value, depending on how "in-demand" the GC is.  It generally worked really well for us.  My only advice is to hang onto the GC and any receipts/documentation you receive in the process, until you actually get the payment.  If you don't do that, you have no basis for a dispute should the need arise.  This seems like common sense, but I've heard enough stories of people who never got paid but couldn't prove it because they had trashed the GC after selling the information to think it's worth mentioning. 

Honored Contributor

I have quite a few right now in my purse in an envelope.  I have had to change the envelope several times it gets so ratty and torn.  The oldest card I have right now is from 2007 to Mercado's Mexican Restaurant.  Some have lost value over time that were the $10.00 card for buying other cards.  The cards I have been given as a gift I check the values from time to time and they are all still good.  I have given a few to my son and his wife to go eat at Red Lobster, Olive Garden and La Madeleine. 

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

Never knew you could cash in gift cards?! I'll have to google it...wouldn't even know how.

I have all kinds that don't amount to much, and some half used...but still hanging around...Starbucks, movie theaters (haven't been to a multi-plex kind of movie theater in a couple years)...stuff like that.

I do appreciate them sometimes though...I've used my Itunes ones on music in the past, and Home Depot came in handy..

Respected Contributor

Yes we did.   We had a couple from two different restaurants that we knew we would never visit.  

We got less from them than we would have if we had used them at the restaurants.  It was worth it for us because we took the cash and used it for something else we wanted.

Honored Contributor

Are any organizations in your area doing "adopt a family" for Christmas. 

You might be able to donate the gift card.

Honored Contributor

I have cashed in several at Target.  They do it in the electronic department of some stores.  

it was easy.

Esteemed Contributor

Perfect example of why, when giving a gift card I always choose Visa. Can be used anywhere for anything.  

Respected Contributor

I cannot imagine never using a gift card.  I can't think of any store or restaurant that I could not find something that I'd want for free.   Well, maybe a tattoo shop or a smoke shop!  

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York