Super Contributor
I would like to dye some 100% polyester doilies for a church project. I didn't think it would be a problem, but when I started to be Rit dye, the bottle said not to use on polyester. A big UGH. I went all over finding the doilies and now don't know what to do.

Anyone have any experience with something like this? I wonder if I could dilute food coloring or something natural. I'm not really locked into a particular color, but need it to be pretty.

Any thoughts? TIA. Demitra
Respected Contributor

Polyester is tricky.  I'd try dyeing just 1.

Honored Contributor

You can buy Polyester Fabric dye on Amazon, however often the color isn't exact.

Also U-Tube can provide you with How To Dye Polyester. 

Polyester, as a man-made fabric isn't conducive to absorbing color dye and one of the reasons it is impervious to most stains....  Good luck! Woman LOL  

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Esteemed Contributor
Poly is tricky to dye. Go to dharma trading co. They have a lot of different dyes for different fabrics, etc
Super Contributor
Thanks for the advice. I have to decorate for next Sunday so don't really have time to order a special dye. I guess I will revamp my plans. I just didn't think of the potential problem. Lesson learned.

I would even use paper doilies if I could find them in colors. I have bought pink around Valentine's Day, but haven't noticed colors any other time.

Why do I think of decorating projects that turn out to be so difficult..... Grrrrrr.
Honored Contributor

Re: Dying fabric

[ Edited ]

If there's a JoAnne's near you, there's a Jacquard dye that is supposed to dye poly.  

I bet a party supply store would carry colored doiles -- at least silver and gold ones.

Honored Contributor
How about painting them?
Esteemed Contributor
Good idea sidsmom - or how about spray painting they sell spray paint in michaels
Respected Contributor

Won't paint make the doilies stiff?

Honored Contributor
There are fabric paints...used for sweatshirts, shoes, etc.