Respected Contributor

The Duraflame vendor claimed the Sun heats the Earth with infrared radiation. My understanding is the Sun emits visible light and then the Earth absorbs it, and re-transmits the radiation as infra-red radiation which is trapped by Greenhouse gasses that is how the Earth is warmed. 

Is there a scientist on these blogs who can confirn?  The vendor was going on and on about the Infra red technology in the Heater but I believe she may have misspoke.

Honored Contributor

Don't really care about the science but I do love those heaters.  Couldn't make it thru colder months without them.

Honored Contributor
Does the sun emit infrared radiation?

Though the sun emits all of the different kinds of electromagnetic radiation, 99% of its rays are in the form of visible light, ultraviolet rays, and infrared rays (also known as heat). Man-made lamps can also emit UV radiation, and are often used for experimental purposes.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

Love my Duraflames!!

Great invention--could not stay warm enough in the Winter without them!

(My DH thinks they are one of my best QVC purchases--forget the fashions and the jewelry)