Respected Contributor

Re: Dryer Sheets and Microfiber

WOW. Thank goodness I've read this thread!

I havent washed my Berkshire super fluffy blankets/sheets yet, & confession time, I probably wouldnt have read the directions, & I wld have possibly just tossed in a Downy sheet, without thinking, assured it would smell so great, along with soft.

Now, I'l make sure not to use Dryer Sheets with them, & probably a whole host of other loads!

I wonder if others, that were mentioned here, were so "mindless" abt Dryer Sheets as I was (before this thread) ??

Let me ask. What abt "Fabric Softener," liquid or beads, in the Wash? Is that a problem too?

Question:

@ShelbelleWhat do the "4 of the blue silicone dryer balls" do for the load, & where do I find them?

@goldensrbestSame question. What do the "wool balls" do for the load, & where do I find them?

TIA

Honored Contributor

@MakeUpMaidn, I haven't used a fabric softener of any kind in years. It was never something I regularly used. I can't handle the fragrance anymore either.

-

I don't think you are supposed to use fabric softener of any kind with microfiber. You also shouldn't use them with anything absorbent like your towels or athletic clothing you want to wick mositure. They make them repel water instead of absorb it.

-

All fabric softeners can make your clothing/fabrics more flammable and can build up in your dryer and possibly cause a fire. Simply rinsing the filter will not fix the problem.

-

I think the balls work by beating your fabrics into submission, LOL. I've heard of just putting tennis balls in with your dryer loads to soften fabrics.

Respected Contributor

@Icegoddess

Wow. Where has my head been?

For 2 yrs, I'd newly started using the bottle of "Tide Liquid with Downy Fabric Softener" (together, Same bottle) when I had to sit close to an Internet Salesperson. His colored clothes were so bright, & he smelled soooooo good. Otherwise, I used to use Tide powdr with OxyClean powder, and Fabric sheet (not Downy, I dont think). Maybe I dont own much microfiber??

I'd better look into "beating my wet clothes into submission" another way ROFL! Like the silicone balls, wool balls, or tennis balls. Well, maybe not tennis balls. (I dont want them to smell like melted rubber).

I had NO IDEA abt fires in the Dryer from using Fabric Softener sheets. whew!

Respected Contributor

Thank y'all for this information.

I had no idea I didnt know, what I didnt know.

Respected Contributor

I hang a lot of things up to dry, then put them in the dryer on air-only to fluff them up. I have seen tags on some beach towels and other things too that say no fabric softener because it "reduces the item's absorbancy"

Years ago fabric softener sheets contained formaldehyde...maybe the liquid softeners did too.

I have discovered my throws and everything else are much softer now that I only use about half of the detergent I once used.

Honored Contributor

Thank you all for the explanation.

Respected Contributor

I never use dryer sheets or liquid in the washer. I just don't like the gumminess or scent. Sometimes walking in my neighborhood I can smell dryer sheet scent in the air. Someone doing laundry, I guess. I used wool dryer balls for quite some time but got tired of picking them up when they stick in the laundry and roll around on the floor. Thanks for the reminder, maybe I'll get them out to use again.

Respected Contributor

@Another new name Sue

Hmm. I was just looking for Wool Balls, & looking at the "siicone balls" as a result of this thread.

I wld like to avoid "balls" sticking to my laundry, as you said @Another new name Sue

@Shelbelleabove mentioned she uses "silicone balls"

I wonder since the silicone balls seem to have "spikey-things" on them, if they do not stick to the clothes as much as "Wool Balls?"

I plan to get One, the Other, or both! .. as a result of the "sage advice" presented on this thread!

Respected Contributor

@Shelbellewrote:

I have not used dryer sheets in over 10 years, not good for the dryer or the fabrics. I keep 4 of the blue silicone dryer balls in my dryer at all times, last forever.

I'm with you, haven't used them in years. Use wool dryer balls as scented dryer sheets have harmful chemicals in them.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

New Nickname: 'Don't get me started'.........Some days it seems like our neighborhood reeks of strong chemical/laundry odors.

As a matter of fact, a laundromat near our local supermarket.......the strong laundry odor travels from one block away, into the supermarket parking lot.

It used to be that I would relax, waiting in a laundromat, reading magazines while my heavy comforters were being washed and dried. No heavy detergent/softeners scents. Just pleasant warmth. Not anymore now-a-days. I don't think it's very healthy to be breathing in those scents/odors/fumes/whatever in a compact indoor area.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).