Trusted Contributor

@SilleeMee  We live on a Mesa so I see the whole sky.  The LaPlatas disappear most days...it's so odd not to see them..DW

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Today is my cleaning day and I usually do my weekly dusting....BUT WHAT'S THE SENSE OF IT??! Wind is just too much.Gusting 50mph already and it's not even 8am. I'm so irritated right now, it's not funny.Woman Mad

@SilleeMee 

No point in doing any cleaning.  Take the day off.  

Honored Contributor

@dancingwoman    I was awakened one morning by the string smell of smoke but that was just once.  Everyday though the skies are smokey and the mountains aren't clear.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

We have had two local area fires. One was in an area with 500 homes where some were evacuated. That fire is under control now. 

The other fire here is big grass fire near the Colorado Springs airport, near Amazon's new warehouse. The fire is burning adjacent to some nearby homes also. Evaluations underway for that whole area. Smoke plumes are huge.

Not in the city here but in Cripple Creek, in the mountains, there is another fire. Can see smoke coming up from the west side of Pikes Peak. Yikes!

Trusted Contributor

@SilleeMee  We have good friends in Cripple Creek.  Is the fire actually in CC? ... DW

Honored Contributor

@dancingwoman wrote:

@SilleeMee  We have good friends in Cripple Creek.  Is the fire actually in CC? ... DW

@dancingwoman 

The fire is burning to the west of CC and there are evacuations underway.

Honored Contributor

Teller County fire evac zone:

@dancingwoman 

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@dancingwoman    I was awakened one morning by the string smell of smoke but that was just once.  Everyday though the skies are smokey and the mountains aren't clear.

We relunctly cancelled a Sante Fe trip because of the weather.

We had a little longer to cancel but why put off the inevitable.

I could do heat but do not want to breathe smoke.

West Texas and the Texas Panhandle are in severe drought too. Amarillo area was over 100 degrees and this is the earliest ever over triple digits. This time of year it should be about 85 daytime.

Quick trip to Big Bend area last week. Same story about high temps. 

Trusted Contributor

@SilleeMee  Thanks for the evac info.  I emailed our friends they are camping near Tarryall.  They had just heard about the fire and are debating if they need to go back and get a few things.  It's crazy.  I hope it stays quiet around here.  Thx.   DW

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@On It wrote:

@Kachina624 This is beyond belief. We are trying to follow the fires on the news apps, but it is overwhelming. The humidity levels, unrelenting winds, and high temperatures are making a difficult job almost impossible. The firefighters have to be exhausted. The containment percentages are still so low on the fires.

We finally got some rain here in West Texas last night, but we need much more. I hope there is a big monsoon season this year. Of course, New Mexico needs it yesterday without having to wait for the rainy season.

I know it is drastic, but the forests need to be closed to the public. They can miss one year of camping if it means there will be a forest there for the next hundred years instead of charred stumps. 

Just slightly OT ....   but speaking of firefighters .....  these are the hardest working people when these fires hit.  If your local fire departments ever have fundraisers, please do what you can to donate even a small amount.

After one of our local FDs had a fundraiser, they got some special "non-mandatory" equipment.   Among other things, they got some tiny little masks for pets and animals pulled from burning homes and need oxygen before it's too late.  The little animal masks are usually used on dogs and cats, but other animals, too.   Cat Surprised

The fire fighters really do so much to help their communities.

(Okay, I'm now getting off my soap box)

Photos:

Pet Oxygen Masks Donated to Fire Station | New Device Helps Animals in ...

Cat with oxygen mask on. | Pet | Pinterest | Oxygen mask and Cat

Upstate NY fire dept. gets special oxygen masks for dogs, cats, birds ...