Honored Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

Have lived in Southern California and Arizona for 46 years.    I admit it does get scary at times........mainly because of the fire danger.

Yes!  There is a wildfire burning not far from me right now.  Over 1000 homes are threatened.  I'm not really worried about watering the grass or washing my car. 

Honored Contributor

@september Must be very scary. Hope that the fires are put out or die out.

Honored Contributor

@september  Good Luck!   I don't think I'd be worried about watering the grass or washing my car either if there was a wildfire bearing down on me!!

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

It's  kind of hard to sympathize when we've been in a drought for 10 years.  We go months without rain and the temperatures in June and July have been brutal.  We're in our monsoon season but no rain or any predicted.  We don't waste water watering lawns because most people have gravel instead of grass and very drought tolerant shrubbery and trees.

This really speaks volumes. 

Honored Contributor

I haven't heard the D word mentioned here locally, but we are having a bit of a dry spell. For the last month or so, most rain storms have gone either north or south of us, with us actually getting little rain, when it did come our way.

Lawns are browned out and we are having to water the vegetable garden to keep the plants alive, but certainly not like some dry spells we have seen in past years.

We are lucky in that we have an artesian well, and it comes directly out of the ground with quite a force, so we don't even need a pump to draw water for irrigation, if we don't want to do so. This has helped us keep our fruit trees, berries and vegetable gardens alive and productive on several very hot and dry summers over the last couple of decades. 

In searching for a rural property, this was one of the main criteria we were looking for before buying. LIfe can get pretty complicated when water is in short supply.

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@september Must be very scary. Hope that the fires are put out or die out.

Thank you!  Helicopters and planes have been flying over my house constantly for the past few days, on route to the fire.  Some scoop up ocean water to pour over the flames. Others drop some type of fire retardent material.  

Over 1000 homes are now threatened and there have been evacuations of two communties where I have a lot of friends.  

Honored Contributor

I feel guilty for saying it's lush and green here in the Garden State.

We had a huge storm pass through when we getting ready to go out to dinner.  Second one this week.  VERY hot today, but a constant breeze, thankfully.

Our daughter and her family went paddle boarding on the bay and said the water was about 70*, but just four feet down and it was 10-12* cooler.  Brrr!

We're expecting showers on and off for the next couple days because of the heat.  Good for us because we're having a lot of concrete work done and it helps it along.

I don't think we're in a drought at home either.  My dad sent pics of the organic garden I started this spring from seeds.  The tomato plants look like apple trees.

My mother would mention lack of rain.  They spent the entire winter in the California desert and she really missed the rain we get---it depressed her something awful.

Honored Contributor

My son is living in North Hollywood while working on a movie - near the Burbank airport.

The movie he is editing had to change the script - it was too hot to use horses the way they wanted to....the writers scrambled to change everything to accomodate because they couldn't change the shoot dates.

I used Mapquest - it appears the fires are about 30 minutes drive north from him...stay safe, everyone!