Honored Contributor

Many news organizations are now saying the drones China "donated" to us that are flying over cities and warning people to socially distance are sending sensitive information back to China. China is spying on us through them, and possibly selling the information to terrorists for their use. We don't have any near us, but some of you may have seen them. 

One member of Congress calls these drones "Trojan Horses."

THIS is scary. It might not be just the virus or the murder hornets any longer. 

Sometimes I feel like I'm stuck in the middle of a dystopian novel! Smiley Frustrated

Esteemed Contributor

I agree that it is scary.  I would not put it past China to do such a thing, considering the fact that they have stolen so much technology and information from us.  I think we should be very wary of anything that comes from China, electronics wise.  We should be distancing ourselves from them as much as possible, in my opinion.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

Don't forget about the Bitcoin or Digital Currency?

Honored Contributor

Anything you buy from China or Russia that connects to the internet has a backdoor for those countries' intelligence services to access your data. Their private industry does not operate independently from their governments or their intelligence services.

Possibly local city governments might not know about that. But they should get wise fast. Ransomware is a massive issue for local governments. The state-sponsored hackers threaten to shut down emgergency services and other services through the ransomware.

State and Fed agencies have been made aware of the vulnerabilities, but not all are abiding by all recommendations.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

Many news organizations are now saying the drones China "donated" to us that are flying over cities and warning people to socially distance are sending sensitive information back to China. China is spying on us through them, and possibly selling the information to terrorists for their use. We don't have any near us, but some of you may have seen them. 

One member of Congress calls these drones "Trojan Horses."

THIS is scary. It might not be just the virus or the murder hornets any longer. 

Sometimes I feel like I'm stuck in the middle of a dystopian novel! Smiley Frustrated

Scary as you know what!! 

Respected Contributor

The drones were provided free to the department for 90 days. Two will be returned and the third donated to police.

DJI is a Chinese company headquartered in Shenzhen, China and has offices in Los Angeles and Palo Alto California, Washington D.C. and New York

The drones are equipped with cameras, lights and loud speakers and can be used to monitor public spaces, spot unsafe activities and broadcast messages.

This thread was the first I'd heard of this and I want to know about this stuff.  It is scary because you don't what is going to be on the 2 drones they have to give back.

https://www.battlecreekenquirer.com/story/news/2020/04/17/drones-donated-battle-creek-police-virus-f... 

Honored Contributor

Military and civilian govt. workers have fought a pitched battle against foreign IT forces for many years.  You have no idea.  And no idea how good our people are!  Bless every one of them, they are unsung and on the front lines every day. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Drones from China

[ Edited ]

The spying and information gathered is definitely concerning but what concerns me even more is the politicians/lawmakers that are ok using it!! Seems to me, they're the ones putting people at risk and should be fired.

Respected Contributor

Is this how they flew those killer hornets in here .....

Honored Contributor

Re: Drones from China

[ Edited ]

@Big Joanie wrote:

Is this how they flew those killer hornets in here .....

OMG. They're driving the drones. Woman Surprised

Edited to add: The term "drones" should have given us a clue. Woman LOL

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr