Respected Contributor

Dr. Deborah Birx specifically mentioned millennials during a briefing on the coronavirus Monday, calling them "the core group" to stop the outbreak.
Birx, who serves as the coordinator of the White House Coronavirus (COVID-19) Task Force, alluded to scenes from over the weekend of young people partying in cities across the country.
"I want to speak particularly to our largest generations now, our millennials," Birx said. "I am the mom of two wonderful millennial young women who are bright and hard working, and I will tell you what I told to them: they are the core group that will stop this virus."
"They are the group that communicates successfully independent of picking up a phone. They intuitively know how to contact each [other] without being in a large social gatherings."
Later, when asked by a reporter to specify, Birx said, "Now why do I think the millennials are key? They're the ones who are out and about."

Are they the core group to stop the virus?

Valued Contributor

Every age group needs to do their part. I think the only "core" group, is the "core" group of the human race.

Whatever gets you through the night; it's alright, it's alright. It's your money or your life; it's alright, it's alright---John Lennon
Honored Contributor

Lord help us........

Honored Contributor

Fascinating, @lovescats --  Dr. Birx is brilliant and she has a very winning way about her.  Her outreach to appeal to people's best instincts is so helpful...

Honored Contributor

Well, I'll go with it.  She knows a lot more about this than I do!

Honored Contributor

You have to appeal to their ego; not their sense of duty and responsibility. The Dr. is no dummy.

Respected Contributor

Re: Dr Birx on millennials

[ Edited ]

How interesting and true, but many millennials do not have fear of COVID 19 because the virus has been mainly negatively affecting older people.

In fact some of them have given it a nickname--the Boomer R....

There beaches in the south are crowded with Spring breakers.

Honored Contributor

I don't make a habit of dogging on millennials but I thought that statement was pretty much out in left field. Quite the head scratcher. 

Respected Contributor

the  clever PSA by Mel Brooks and his son is aimed right at this group, with a subtle reminder of societal responsibility.  Dr Birx was delivering the message via softball.

Honored Contributor

@lovescats wrote:

Dr. Deborah Birx specifically mentioned millennials during a briefing on the coronavirus Monday, calling them "the core group" to stop the outbreak.
Birx, who serves as the coordinator of the White House Coronavirus (COVID-19) Task Force, alluded to scenes from over the weekend of young people partying in cities across the country.
"I want to speak particularly to our largest generations now, our millennials," Birx said. "I am the mom of two wonderful millennial young women who are bright and hard working, and I will tell you what I told to them: they are the core group that will stop this virus."
"They are the group that communicates successfully independent of picking up a phone. They intuitively know how to contact each [other] without being in a large social gatherings."
Later, when asked by a reporter to specify, Birx said, "Now why do I think the millennials are key? They're the ones who are out and about."

Are they the core group to stop the virus?

@lovescats - Thank you for posting this! I hope so! I have two millenials -  one just out of college who had a big spring break trip planned. Tickets were bought and lodging was in place. Until about 3 days ago he was still going to go. A lot of back and forth changes, and the bottom line is he is right now flying back to his apartment and a job that doesn't exist unless he is actively working, and of course he's not.

The mom in me would like him to be here, but he will be fine sheltering in place. Most friends are still there, but a lot are gone, including his roommate because the university is closed, maybe for the rest of the year. 

DD is here. She has gone a few places with close friends, but no large gatherings or parties. 

It amazes me that some people she knows are having parties. They think they are immune, but as I told her NO ONE is. We don't know enough about it. 

Millenials need to "get it." This is their world, and although this is the first time for anything like this for all of us, they will probably go through things like this in their lifetime. 

To me it still seems like a dystopian nightmare. Things like this happened other places, but never in the USA. Of course I never thought I would see planes flown into buildings either.