Honored Contributor

Re: Doris Day Didn't Know How Old She Is

@roxxy1 wrote:

How could you not know what year you were born ?

SMH

I don't think that's something to laugh about either............

Honored Contributor

@SydneyH wrote:

@roxxy1 wrote:

How could you not know what year you were born ?

SMH

I don't think that's something to laugh about either............

Who is laughing?   That was the title of the article.  I don't make fun of women or tear them down, I never have.  

DD is too cute and she thought it was funny.  I didn't see ANYONE here make fun of DD.  NO ONE LAUGHED AT HER.  I'm disappointed you saw it that way.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Who could read this topic and NOT see that many here admit we have trouble remembering how old we are?  

Good grief 😒

Esteemed Contributor

When Doris Day was at her peak box-office draw around 1960, some entertainment writers criticized what they thought were technical touch-ups of Ms Day, making her look softer on screen and alleging she was older than she said. My guess is that like many actresses of her generation, Doris Day knocked a couple of years off her official bio because hitting forty was akin to murder. It really was, and still is, a brutal system for women. I still enjoy her comedies, starting with Pillow Talk. You can really learn a lot about early 1960s social values...and then realize why the Women's Movement started soon after.

Respected Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

She says she never paid much attention to birthdays, but always thought she knew how old she was, she's now 93.  Until reporters found her birth certificate which shows she's 95.

Ms. Day is delighted because she can now say she's older than Betty White by two months.  How cute is that!

Happy Gaining Two Years, Doris Day Woman Very Happy

I read an article once that said a lot of female movie stars used to knock a couple years off their age to make them seem younger so that they might have a chance at playing younger roles. Apparently, Hollywood used to think that you had no s&x appeal once you were over 40.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli