Respected Contributor

Re: Doris Day Didn't Know How Old She Is

My mom would tell me she was'21 and shy', when I asked her how old she was.

I was such a goofy kid I believed she was 21... just not shy.

Honored Contributor

Actually my birth certificate shows me a year older than I actually am. Being born on Jan 5th the lady filled in the wrong year - put me as the previous year - which happens a lot the first week in Jan, I imagine. My Mom tried to get it fixed but was unsuccessful. It has always been a benefit for me.

Respected Contributor

I don't focus on my age, and I frequently am off by a year or two if someone asks  unless I stop and out of the years. I usually end up saying I'm older than I am,  but I have to be honest and say that I feel as if I'm in my mid 40s when in fact I'm in my mid 60s.  It's just a number. Who cares? No, I do not have dementia. I have just never focused on my age. My mother is exactly the same. She is  91, but she  has told me she doesn't think about how old she is either. She never has.  People see her and think she's in her mid 70s. People think I'm in my 50s. Whatever… I think it's a good thing not to focus on how old you are. 

Honored Contributor

@maestra wrote:

My mom would tell me she was'21 and shy', when I asked her how old she was.

I was such a goofy kid I believed she was 21... just not shy.

That is really cute, @maestra  Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

@libbyannE wrote:

I don't focus on my age, and I frequently am off by a year or two if someone asks  unless I stop and out of the years. I usually end up saying I'm older than I am,  but I have to be honest and say that I feel as if I'm in my mid 40s when in fact I'm in my mid 60s.  It's just a number. Who cares? No, I do not have dementia. I have just never focused on my age. My mother is exactly the same. She is  91, but she  has told me she doesn't think about how old she is either. She never has.  People see her and think she's in her mid 70s. People think I'm in my 50s. Whatever… I think it's a good thing not to focus on how old you are. 

I agree with you @libbyannE  I don't think about it much except when it's not a good day and things hurt, which probably has nothing to do with age, just lupus.

I think it's also important to keep up with changes, unless they're changes for the worse. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

p.s.  I sure enjoy her various retro movies, whenever they are aired on various retro and other channels.  Love her retro styles, and of course, Doris' beautiful voice, her humor, excellent actiing abilities, etc.  What an entertainer.  Wishing her the very best of health, safety, and the very best of luck, which we can all use. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

p.s.  I sure enjoy her various retro movies, whenever they are aired on various retro and other channels.  Love her retro styles, and of course, Doris' beautiful voice, her humor, excellent actiing abilities, etc.  What an entertainer.  Wishing her the very best of health, safety, and the very best of luck, which we can all use. 

I like a lot of the old movies @ROMARY  The Streets of San Francisco has been on here lately, and Perry Mason.  I loved Karl Malden and Raymond Burr Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

What makes u think she didn't know her age? Most celebrities/movie stars take off a few years.

Valued Contributor

my friend's d-i-l didn't know how old she is recently..her husband dug up her birth certificate to prove her age..& she is only 44..she told everyone she was 40 😞 Wishful, thinking, I guess!

Honored Contributor

I always think of myself as tens years younger than I am, until I have to make an appointment with my doctor, and my year of birth is asked for every single time!  lol

My MIL lived to be ninety-nine, and I remember her saying years prior that if she lived to be ninety, she would be impressed, lol.