Honored Contributor

Re: Doris Day Didn't Know How Old She Is

I can just hear her say "Que Sera, Sera Whatever will be, will be".

Loved her in movies and t.v. she is so great.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

@ChynnaBlue I think you explained it best.I am always losing track of my age.years ago I told the doctor I was 48 and he said no you are 46.I responded..well don't women usually lie about their age to which he replied that they usually subtract years.I have birthdays but you are right that people don't ask how old I am anymore.I never was worried about my age though.I am more concerened about strength and ability.

Honored Contributor

@MalteseMomma wrote:

As many of you here know,I always say I am 80 but I am really 79......( just 3 weeks ago)

I have said that all my life , to everyone  and when I really need to know my age ,I have to get a pen and paper to figure it out 

Why? I do not know?????????

HAPPY BIRTHDAY @MalteseMomma! Woman Very Happy

I can't remember how it started, but I used to tease my daughter about how old she was, I'd bump it up a year.  Once day she said she'd told someone she was a year older by mistake and blamed me, LOL.  Yes, both of us had a good laugh about that one.

DH and a good friend of mine are both a year and a half from my age and I always have to stop and figure out how old they are by what month it is.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@dex wrote:

@ChynnaBlue I think you explained it best.I am always losing track of my age.years ago I told the doctor I was 48 and he said no you are 46.I responded..well don't women usually lie about their age to which he replied that they usually subtract years.I have birthdays but you are right that people don't ask how old I am anymore.I never was worried about my age though.I am more concerened about strength and ability.

That's cute @dex  Woman LOL

Respected Contributor

I know what year I was born in, but frequently forget how old I am.  As in, "wait, am I 56 or 57?". Luckily, it is only a split second of forgetfulness.

After a certain point, it is not like it matters, except maybe at the doctor's.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Respected Contributor

sometimes as you get older in years, those things are hard to remember. I know that my mom, prior to her death always thought she was 94. We would gently remind her that no, you are 91 and would remind her of her year of birth. After a while, we let it go...jeeze when you're that old what difference does it really make??? She would always say to us when we were in our 20's and 30's and would chastise her because she couldn't remember some of the stuff we told her - "you just wait until you get my age...it's not so easy to remember."  God bless her, she was right. I'm 62 and sometimes have to stop and think "am I right?"

Honored Contributor

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

I know what year I was born in, but frequently forget how old I am.  As in, "wait, am I 56 or 57?". Luckily, it is only a split second of forgetfulness.

After a certain point, it is not like it matters, except maybe at the doctor's.

@Peaches McPhee I do the same and mainly because my birthday is in the last week of the year.  So all year I am thinking I am one age but have not reached Christmas yet.  Even if it is only Easter. It is always a nice treat finding you are only one age instead of another. 

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

One of my best teenage memories is of my 70-something Papaw, and his 80-something sister arguing about her age.   Papaw had their family bible (which is in my possession now) and knew his sisters true age, but for whatever reason, she shaved 3 years off, and only admitted to a certain number.   Papaw and his sister loved each other dearly, and enjoyed their visits, but Papaw loved to get her stirred up about her age, and she let it get to her every single time.   I enjoy the memory of them arguing at his kitchen table, and it still brings tears to my eyes.   They were not affectionate people, so when Papaw started the argument, it was kinda their unspoken "I love you sis", "I love you too brother".   

When she died, her obituary said she was 100; her birth record in our family bible, written in her dads writing, says she was actually 103!   So for whatever reason she shaved those 3 years off, she stuck to it until the day she died.    

Honored Contributor

@bmorechick wrote:

sometimes as you get older in years, those things are hard to remember. I know that my mom, prior to her death always thought she was 94. We would gently remind her that no, you are 91 and would remind her of her year of birth. After a while, we let it go...jeeze when you're that old what difference does it really make??? She would always say to us when we were in our 20's and 30's and would chastise her because she couldn't remember some of the stuff we told her - "you just wait until you get my age...it's not so easy to remember."  God bless her, she was right. I'm 62 and sometimes have to stop and think "am I right?"

@bmorechick

I love that part and I agree with you!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

That's not unusual.  My mom was 84 when she passed, she knew what year she was born in but she had to do the math real quick to figure out her age.  She joked that she stopped counting at 49 and by the time she got to an age when it didn't matter anymore....she couldn't quite remember.   I'm 57 and but when I think about my age, it seems so old that I always think I must be wrong...lol