Honored Contributor

@Sunshine Kate wrote:

I don't think Burlington, Ross or TJ's are what they used to be years ago.  I can tell they have changed because I don't spend but a fraction compared to many years ago. 

I've not frequented Burlington or Ross enough to really know, but I agree that the TJX stores don't seem to have quite the variety they once did. They usually still have enough to keep me interested, but as all the big stores have opened their own version of 'outlets' I think it's cut down on the overstock that TJX probably used to get... I remember getting a beautiful set of Neiman Marcus dishes at TJ Maxx several years ago. I haven't seen anything like that in ages...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

The other thing to keep in mind about the TJX stores is that you have to check back often or arrange to visit just after they've been stocked. The simple fact is they move merchandise quickly, so for those who went 'once' and found the pickings slim, thems the breaks... It's a very different kind of retail and really, retail is changing and the old models aren't surviving... That's just the way it is... I'm not fond of 'event' or 'flash sale' (now you see it, now you don't) types of shopping sites, but in essence, some of the more successful brick and mortar retailers are and have been operating similarly...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

@software

Amazon has spoiled me because of quick delivery of supplements mostly.

QVC has spoiled me with a liberal return policy.

i have often wondered if one day someone says " I have a GREAT new idea! Why not start a store where people can see the items "in person?" LOL

@Amazon has spoiled me too and I love it. Yesterday I ordered an electric toothbrush around noon. I received it @7:52pm in the evening. The day before I discovered I was out of cat treatsCat SurprisedCat Mad (criminal offense around here), I ordered them around 1pm and they were on my porch at 5:30. in plenty of time for the gathering for the treats ritual. WhewWoman LOL

Honored Contributor

TJMaxx and those type of stores are very hit or miss.  I could never do all of my shopping in those stores.  Some days I can find tons of things and other days there isn't a thing that appeals to me.  Some stores are well put together, neat and clean while other stores are a disaster.  Not all stores get in the same type of merchandise either.  It depends on where the store is located.  Our local TJM, which closed years ago, never got in the better designer items that other stores in better areas got in. 

Merchandise at those types of stores also has to be checked very, very carefully because sometimes the stuff is seconds, things they couldn't sell in the store.  I remember a few years ago picking up a pair of jeans that had the Coldwater Creek tag still on them.  I tried them on and they fit beautifully. The problem was the seam down the side took a bad turn and from mid-calf to the hem, ran down the center of the jeans.  LOL  Those should have been trashed, not even put in TJM to sell.

I've noticed the same stale items in many catelogs I've received.  Recently I rec'd a Soft Surroundings catelog.  I opened it up and I know a lot of the stuff has been in that catelog all last year and some even the year before.   

Esteemed Contributor

@depglass wrote:

I fondly remember the department stores of my youth, in the 60's.  People waited on you.  What a concept.  Need the back room checked for your size?  Done. Need a different size of the bra you want while you are in the dressing room?  Done.  Need a shoe ordered in a different color from the manufacturer?  Done.  Bring all that back and I might be happy to pay those full prices. 

So some of you know I work part time at Talbots.  All the services mentioned above are what Talbots strives for.  I have been trained to greet customers when they come in and ask if they need help finding a certain item or just explaining the store lay out if they have not shopped my store previously.  IF we see a customer holding items they want to,try on we offer to put them in a dressing room for them.  IF a customer wants something in a size that is not out on the store racks we will happily check for more stock in the back area.  We check back with customers in the dressing room to see if they need anything like a different size.  DOn't have it in the store in the size or color you want we will happily order it from the catalog dept or do a store search to find it at another store and have it sent to you no charge.  NOw we do not always suceed in doing all these things if we have customers lined up at the registers but we make every effort to do so.  I am proud to work for them.

Frequent Contributor

@KathyPet wrote:

@depglass wrote:

I fondly remember the department stores of my youth, in the 60's.  People waited on you.  What a concept.  Need the back room checked for your size?  Done. Need a different size of the bra you want while you are in the dressing room?  Done.  Need a shoe ordered in a different color from the manufacturer?  Done.  Bring all that back and I might be happy to pay those full prices. 

So some of you know I work part time at Talbots.  All the services mentioned above are what Talbots strives for.  I have been trained to greet customers when they come in and ask if they need help finding a certain item or just explaining the store lay out if they have not shopped my store previously.  IF we see a customer holding items they want to,try on we offer to put them in a dressing room for them.  IF a customer wants something in a size that is not out on the store racks we will happily check for more stock in the back area.  We check back with customers in the dressing room to see if they need anything like a different size.  DOn't have it in the store in the size or color you want we will happily order it from the catalog dept or do a store search to find it at another store and have it sent to you no charge.  NOw we do not always suceed in doing all these things if we have customers lined up at the registers but we make every effort to do so.  I am proud to work for them.

Very nice @KathyPet.

Im not surprised.  I like Talbots.