Esteemed Contributor

I'm new to Dollar General shopping - new store recently opened nearby...........stopped & shopped once weeks ago.  Tonight opened a new tube of major brand toothpaste and noticed the little round sticker saying.................product intended for sale at Dollar General.  Now I recall at time of purchase - toothpaste usually cost $5 or more for giant size at regular drug stores; but I paid like 2 bucks at DG.     Felt like I was stealing.  Are their low prices based on volume purchasing or something else?  I'm gonna be living at that store! 

Honored Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

I'm new to Dollar General shopping - new store recently opened nearby...........stopped & shopped once weeks ago.  Tonight opened a new tube of major brand toothpaste and noticed the little round sticker saying.................product intended for sale at Dollar General.  Now I recall at time of purchase - toothpaste usually cost $5 or more for giant size at regular drug stores; but I paid like 2 bucks at DG.     Felt like I was stealing.  Are their low prices based on volume purchasing or something else?  I'm gonna be living at that store! 

I think it may be volume.  We have dollar stores and 99 cent stores.  In fact I stopped in and purchased a light bulb.  When I am baking for someone I go to the dollar store and purchase zip lock containers and I don't have to worry about getting the container back.Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@fthunt That is the norm for dollar general. We do a lot of shopping there. But I like dollar tree the best. If you have one, their prces are all a dpllar and they have more of a variety.

Respected Contributor

I LOVE DOLLAR GENERAL!

Honored Contributor

I shop heavily at my local one because they accept manufacturer's coupons and their digital ones. I can amass a well-stocked stockpile which allows me to gift to my college age son and not shop for certain household items for months.

Honored Contributor

https://www.businessinsider.com/10-things-you-should-never-buy-at-the-dollar-store-2016-7

This is a few years old...but basically the article is still saying buyer beware.

In other words be smart at what you buy at the dollar store.

Honored Contributor

Add me to the list that loves Dollar Gerneral stores.Heart..i just restock my freezer  with food from there 2 hours ago!!

We do have a grocery store in town but so over priced  and you really need to check the dates on food!  I have bought items and got home and then checked dates...i had to take sandwiches and a few other items to get my money back!!

At Dollar General i don't have too !!

preds 06-21-20
"Always be thankful andyou'll have more than you know."
Respected Contributor

There is one close to my house and I'm there every few weeks. 

Honored Contributor

There are no Dollar General stores near me, but my understanding is that they are more like a supermarket than a true dollar store - i.e. weekly circular and sales, store brands, and they don't have $1 pricing for everything.

Esteemed Contributor

We have two of them in our little town but management is horrible.  The older one always looks like a bomb exploded and is poorly stocked and DIRTY.  For the past 3 or 4 years, I've vowed to never set foot in it again but then go in once a year and regret it.  The brand new one (about a year old) is kept a little better but I've been in others that are still much nicer than it.  I complained about our older one a few years ago online and received a call from the district manager who promised they were making improvements to the store, etc.  I told him the store is an embarrassment to the city and SHOULD be one to the corporation. 

I like Dollar General and they have great prices and deals but I refuse to shop at our two local stores.  

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown