Reply
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,162
Registered: ‎02-02-2015

Japanese firm creates marine grocery bag

Japanese firm designs a bag that disintegrates in sea water.  May be on the market in Japan this year.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 7,374
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: Japanese firm creates marine grocery bag

That's great news if over time it doesn't contaminate the water. What solution does it create when it dissolves do you know?

Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,885
Registered: ‎02-09-2016

Re: Japanese firm creates marine grocery bag

@snoop So what would they do collect them and hall them all to florida to dispose of them. Sound crazy. 

Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,162
Registered: ‎02-02-2015

Re: Japanese firm creates marine grocery bag


@occasionalrain wrote:

That's great news if over time it doesn't contaminate the water. What solution does it create when it dissolves do you know?


I think it’s a combination of corn gluten and something else. Supposedly harmless to the environment and I think 95 percent gone within 6 months.  They created this to deal with the grocery bag problem.  

Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,162
Registered: ‎02-02-2015

Re: Japanese firm creates marine grocery bag


@becca lou wrote:

@snoop So what would they do collect them and hall them all to florida to dispose of them. Sound crazy. 


Well, Japan is surrounded by 💦 water as you know, but there can be applications elsewhere.  

Highlighted
Honored Contributor
Posts: 17,618
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Japanese firm creates marine grocery bag

[ Edited ]

A couple weeks ago at our food pantry , we had a sort of strange feeling bag come in with the produce. It felt really weird ,sort of like slimy latex. It was a pale green, and looked strange too

 

We think it might have been a biodegradeable bag. It felt very flimsy ,but it was strong...it felt  kind of disgusting ,but, if it works what the hey

Highlighted
Valued Contributor
Posts: 844
Registered: ‎08-20-2014

Re: Japanese firm creates marine grocery bag


@cherry wrote:

A couple weeks ago at our food pantry , we had a sort of strange feeling bag come in with the produce. It felt really weird ,sort of like slimy latex. It was a pale green, and looked strange too

 

We think it might have been a biodegradeable bag. It felt very flimsy ,but it was strong...it felt  kind of disgusting ,but, if it works what the hey


I agree with the premise of those bags, but sadly you cannot store your produce in the fridge for any length of time in them. The bags are compostable, but unfortunately they also cause your produce to decompose quickly.

 

It's a good start but I hope they can improve them.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor
Posts: 8,481
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: Japanese firm creates marine grocery bag

We had biodegradeable water bottles around here for awhile.  People would find them leaking all over their cupboards and floors.  Be careul what you wish for, and for crying out loud, tell your customers.  

Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,069
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: Japanese firm creates marine grocery bag

@cherry  Some of the vendors at our farmer's market are providing those bags. They really feel weird, almost as though they are living creatures.  

If they are truly safe for the environment I am all for them.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor
Posts: 748
Registered: ‎07-19-2013

Re: Japanese firm creates marine grocery bag

Ironic considering the amount of whaling this country does without blinking an eye.