Respected Contributor

Doing laundry/running dishwasher

I'm curious as to how many times a week people do laundry.  

We only have DH and I living here and do our laundry about once a week, sometimes twice.

We have a neighbor, it's just he and his wife living there.  He was telling me how his wife insists on doing laundry every day.  He said she goes ballistic if she sees any dirty clothing in the hamper and it just has to be washed even if it's just one item.  It drives him crazy, but has given up the fight to saying anything.  

He said she also runs the dishwasher every day even if there's very little in it.  

The funny thing is that he tells us he's "cheap" (and that's how he words it).  We compared water bills and his is more than double to ours.  Our water company also informed us that in August, the rate will go up by 30%!  I asked him if that means his wife will cut down on doing laundry every day and he said no.

And I had to laugh (at him saying he's cheap) - his wife has 3 TV's turned on all day in 3 different rooms, even if no one is watching.  

He shared with DH and I that they used to get into arguments, but after all these years, he finally gave up.  When she pays the bills, she always sends each utility company at least $30 or more each month.  This just makes no sense to me.

Just looking for thoughts/opinions - not trying to start an argument.  TIA.

Honored Contributor

Re: Doing laundry/running dishwasher

@HisElk1 wrote:

We only have DH and I living here and do our laundry about once a week, sometimes twice.

We have a neighbor, it's just he and his wife living there.  He was telling me how his wife insists on doing laundry every day.  He said she goes ballistic if she sees any dirty clothing in the hamper and it just has to be washed even if it's just one item.  It drives him crazy, but has given up the fight to saying anything.  

He said she also runs the dishwasher every day even if there's very little in it.  

The funny thing is that he tells us he's "cheap" (and that's how he words it).  We compared water bills and his is more than double to ours.  Our water company also informed us that in August, the rate will go up by 30%!  I asked him if that means his wife will cut down on doing laundry every day and he said no.

And I had to laugh (at him saying he's cheap) - his wife has 3 TV's turned on all day in 3 different rooms, even if no one is watching.  

He shared with DH and I that they used to get into arguments, but after all these years, he finally gave up.  When she pays the bills, she always sends each utility company at least $30 or more each month.  This just makes no sense to me.

@HisElk1 

I assume, unless they are using my power or taking something from me, that it is none of my business how they pay their bills or use their power and her husband may be doing this to jerk your leg, letting you know it is none of your business.

Honored Contributor

The wife sounds somewhat obsessive compulsive.  Her behavior isn't within the world of normal and constitutes more than a quirk.

Respected Contributor

Wow. Sounds like his wife has some ODC going! 

For us, dishes are done when the dishwasher is 3/4 to full of dishes. Husband does his own laundry and I do mine, whenever we feel we need to!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Honored Contributor

We are a household of two and I'd say I do about 2 to 3 loads for me; husband does at least 2 loads probably 3 for him, and at least 1 load of towels, and 1 of sheets during the week.

Dishwasher?  Yes mam it gets washed EVERY night and emptied EVERY morning.  It is the biggest thing in keeping the kitchen clean and a pleasure to use.  Even if we have a couple of plates, 3 or four cups and a few glasses and some silverware, the dishwasher goes on at night and the trash is taken out, kitchen counters cleaned!  

Wash and dry dishes and put away every meal, every glass or cup?  No.  Doesn't make sense to me. 

Respected Contributor

@Nonametoday wrote:

@HisElk1 wrote:

@HisElk1 

I assume, unless they are using my power or taking something from me, that it is none of my business how they pay their bills or use their power and her husband may be doing this to jerk your leg, letting you know it is none of your business.

@Nonametoday , I agree with part of your post; they are not using any of our power.  However, the neighbor actually asked us how many times we do laundry as he felt every day was too often.  He also told us it drives him crazy with her giving the utility companies more than what the bill is for the month.  He tell us alot about her being a "control freak".  They basically live together in the house; however, he has shared that he sleeps upstairs and she sleeps downstairs.  Other than visiting their grandchild, they don't do anything else together because of her OCD of cleaning, etc.

Honored Contributor

I wash the towels every other day and the sheets once a week.  Clothes for the two of us, including husband's exercise clothing, probably every other day.  

I made an executive decision 😜 that I would run pots and pans through the dishwasher, rather than hand washing, so that's usually one load daily, too.  There are statistics that less water is used that way anyhow and it seems more sanitary.  

My home is fairly small and the utility bills are not an issue.  

An aside:  I would hate to have my husband griping about me to a neighbor.  

Honored Contributor

@HisElk1 wrote:

@Nonametoday wrote:

@HisElk1 wrote:

@HisElk1 

@Nonametoday , I agree with part of your post; they are not using any of our power.  However, the neighbor actually asked us how many times we do laundry as he felt every day was too often.  He also told us it drives him crazy with her giving the utility companies more than what the bill is for the month.  He tell us alot about her being a "control freak".  They basically live together in the house; however, he has shared that he sleeps upstairs and she sleeps downstairs.  Other than visiting their grandchild, they don't do anything else together because of her OCD of cleaning, etc.

@HisElk1 

Tell him it is none of his business how often you do the laundry.  You just tell him, if you don't want to use those words, that it varies depending on your needs.  They don't sound like people with whom I would like to share information about my private life.

Trusted Contributor

@ECBG   I would say that regardless of whether he terms himself "cheap" or not, they must have the financial means to indulge her "practices" because if they don't, with the way prices are going on EVERYTHING, he'll probably have to re-think how tolerant he is of her excesses!  

Trusted Contributor

I wish somebody did my laundry everyday. Woman LOL