Respected Contributor

Does packaging influence your buying habits?

So do you buy something because you like the packaging?  For instance, I see a lot of beauty bloggers buying beauty products just because the packaging is unique or cute.  Doesn't have to be beauty products - just anything.  I really don't think packaging influences my buying preferences.  Some people really seem to get into packaging. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Does packaging influence your buying habits?

Pretty packaging may draw my eye at first, but it does 't influence what I buy.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

Cute and unique packaging means nothing to me and it just adds to the cost of a product!

Trusted Contributor

Nope, not in any way, shape, or form. I'll be using what's in the packaging, not the packaging itself.

Honored Contributor

oh heck no!! There are so many cute packaged things out there I'd LOVE to have but I'm not interested in the actual products so why would I waste that money?

Now, I DO think if it is something I was going to buy or liked that cute packaging is an added bonues but no, never would I buy something just because of the cute packaging. Sadly, I know many people that do. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Absolutely, yes, I admit it. 

Example:  I saw an ad in a Target email for a new line of beauty products they're carrying.  Pink and cream color, fresh looking, not the same old same old.

They featured a tube of "Hand Food" which also had a good rating, so I sent for it and now it's my favorite.  I really like it and it keeps my hands soft and moisturized even after I've washed them.

I wouldn't have given it a second glance it if looked the same old boring way most other hand lotions look.

ps Re: cost... The tube I got is fairly large, 4.2 fl oz.   $6.99, that's most definitely not expensive for a good product.

Honored Contributor

Attractive or unique packaging always catches my eye.  I like a pretty lipstick case but I won't buy it again if the color is not flattering on me.

Honored Contributor

How can one not notice a product that is packaged well!  When I was in college in the mid 80's my friend took a packaging class (she was an ad major).  Fascinating stuff..the industry was just really getting into molded plastics.....(not good environmentally) and all the research she did on colors and graphics and product placement....fascinating!

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Honored Contributor

If the product is something I want to buy, then yes, packaging does influence me.

Honored Contributor

Yes, especially if I will be reusing the packaging to store the product when not in use.