Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@GoneButNotForgotten wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

Guess I am not sure what the issue really is.  Are sitting in a special place to read or watching your favorate show?  How would anyone know what you are expecting?  If you want to have some time to yourself I would suggest finding a specific place and time and just let everyone know.  Hate to thinkg you want people to make an appointment to talk to you.  

Unless one is blind, deaf, and dumb, it should be pretty obvious when someone in reading a book or otherwise engrossed in what they're doing. And believe me NO ONE thinks they need an appointment to talk to me, lol! Woman Very Happy

Then what exactly do you want someone to do when they want to talk to you?

She said she wants them to wait.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

Interruptions when I am doing something is what I am accustomed to after children, grandchildren and pets.

They know they can always come to me when in need at any time.

I like it that way.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Honored Contributor

My DH interrupts all the time....if I'm in the kitchen watching the news while cooking or cleaning up, he'll wander in and start talking about something not very important while an interesting story is on. Or he'll stop and stand right in front of the TV.  It's annoying.

I have asked repeatedly to please talk during a commercial unless it's really important.  (Can't he see that I'm watching?) It's usually something like "I found my glasses" or "I like my new whatever...."

It makes me feel like my feelings just aren't important....and yes I have told him so too.

Respected Contributor

I think it is OK unless a person is on the phone, working, or studying.

Respected Contributor

Coming from a large family, I have to say if you're in public space and you're a parent, you're fair game. Doesn't matter if in your head you're all alone because you're not. If you want to be alone and undisturbed, maybe the best idea is to find a space where that's possible. The bathroom is obvious. In our family we had a rule that you could not hold a conversation through the bathroom door, so that protected privacy when space was tight and someone just had to get away. 

I'd also strongly suggest thinking about the posts that urge you to welcome the interactions, because one day, you won't have them. Either you'll be gone, or they will. Just as it's said that no one on her deathbed wished she'd stayed longer at the office (except me), I doubt that when that person who's bugging you today is no longer there, you'll regret not having rebuffed him or her more often.

Esteemed Contributor

Many of us probably have this happen. For me, my DH has a habit of wanting me to look at something he found on the computer (in the next room) while I'm in the kitchen doing something. Sometimes I get irritated with him, but I know he has no idea what I'm doing. His health isn't good, so I usually just tell him I'll look at it in a minute or that I can't look right now. If it's your kids that are also doing this, you should have a bit more control over them.

Honored Contributor

Foxxee, it doesn't have to be either/or. I can stop what I'm doing if it's really important, and/or they can wait for a few minutes.

@GoneButNotForgotten 

OK, so you're saying they are impatient and interruptions are too frequent and unnecessary.  

Do you think the children learned this from your husband?  They learned it from someone.  If so, maybe, you need to work on him and the children will stop.  He needs to support you on this.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

Guess I am not sure what the issue really is.  Are sitting in a special place to read or watching your favorate show?  How would anyone know what you are expecting?  If you want to have some time to yourself I would suggest finding a specific place and time and just let everyone know.  Hate to thinkg you want people to make an appointment to talk to you.  

Unless one is blind, deaf, and dumb, it should be pretty obvious when someone in reading a book or otherwise engrossed in what they're doing. And believe me NO ONE thinks they need an appointment to talk to me, lol! Woman Very Happy

Then what exactly do you want someone to do when they want to talk to you?

She said she wants them to wait.

Till when....when she decides to allow then to speak. 

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

How about "Right now I'm focused on "XYZ".  I'll be happy to answer you when it's over.

This is a symptom of "entitlement".  Me before you.  I won't tolerate it.

Esteemed Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

How about "Right now I'm focused on "XYZ".  I'll be happy to answer you when it's over.

This is a symptom of "entitlement".  Me before you.  I won't tolerate it.

Let's flip this around.

I'm going to play the devil's advocate.

One could say that it's the o/p who has a sense of "entitlement" . For her it would be "Me before you".

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.