Esteemed Contributor

Does e-bay charge the customer a fee?

I bought a couple of used books on e-bay for the first time. Total, including shipping was $12.83 , by the seller which I agreed to pay. Just noticed I was charged another $ .86 by e-bay! Does anyone know what this small charge is for? I'm new to e-bay. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Does e-bay charge the customer a fee?

I just bought something this morning and there was no extra fee.

Honored Contributor

it may depend on the state you are in. some states now require ebay to collect applicable sales taxes on purchases.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sunshine45  This was a seperate charge on my credit card.  YES! I think you've answered my question. It's 7%. That works.  Thank you.

Valued Contributor

@BirkiLady 

NO !

Honored Contributor

I have been buying and occasionally selling on e-bay for years.

There  is no charge from e-bay for the buyer.  The most you would pay is for the item, Tax and shipping.

If you are new user, how did you make payment?  I use PayPal.  My husband does not have a PAyPal account and if I am not there when he makes a purchase, he will use his CC.  When he uses a new unfamiliar CC, there is always a small amount, under $1, that shows up on his statement.  

This is done to make sure the CC account is real and the information given is correct. The money is credited back to him...as it was only a test run.

Wait a day or so to see if your money is credited, if not contact E-Bay.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Not that I am aware of.  Could be tax.  You could check your order details on your e-bay account and it should tell you what it is.

Honored Contributor

Perhaps it's the sales tax?  

Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie  Used PayPal to avoid giving out my credit card to the seller. Another poster suggested sales tax, which I hadn't thought about! It works out to Nebraska's 7%. I'm good with that. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

@Carmie  Used PayPal to avoid giving out my credit card to the seller. Another poster suggested sales tax, which I hadn't thought about! It works out to Nebraska's 7%. I'm good with that. Smiley Happy

nebraska is one of the states that just began collecting sales tax on ebay. they began on may 1, 2019.

http://www.revenue.nebraska.gov/info/notice_for_remote_sellers.html

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein