Regular Contributor

Does anyone still enjoy driving?

In a recent poll, 60% of the people admitted to driving drowsy in the past year, and 35% of them have actually fallen asleep while driving! 1 in every 6 deadly crashes involves a drowsy driver!

When you add to that --- DUI drivers, inattentive drivers, cell phone use and texting, putting on makeup and eating, dangerous, aggressive drivers, those who keep changing lanes without warning and cut you off, those who don't use a turn signal, teenage drivers who show off for their friends, and, worst of all, in my opinion, red light runners, it has really turned into a risky business now just to drive your car.

It is impossible to just relax and enjoy the drive. It is no longer enough just to drive with caution. You now have to be constantly on the defensive and hope that nobody hits you from behind if you stop at a red light! Some drivers expect you to speed through it when it is turning red, so that they can also get through it!

I especially dread driving when it is raining or has just stopped raining. You still get the speeders who risk their own life and everyone else's life, and the idiots who cut you off and force you to brake your car in the rain, which can be so dangerous.

I don't know what driving is like now in a smaller town or in the country, but I live in the city, and I haven't enjoyed driving for a long time now. Those days are long gone.