Honored Contributor

Re: Does anyone know of Charities

I think it may depend on where you live as to which charities will accept large furniture.  Space is an issue for many charities. We donated a bedroom set and a piano to a city ministries charity.  Habitat for Humanity may be worth a call also. Good luck. Hope you find the right spot to donate your things.

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Jamma wrote:

@Mz iMac wrote:

Salvation Army

Thanks I tried them ---they won't be in my area till mid September.  I was hoping it could be sooner.

If you want sooner, try the Red Cross.

Pickups must be regional thing.  Salvation Army as well as the Red Cross in my area will pick up large furniture in Mayflower size tractor trailers as they go from home to home in one delivery/pickup in the area.

In the last few years, Goodwill as been very picky.  I stopped using them yrs ago.  I don't even bother w/their "drop off" parking lot bins any longer.

@Mz iMac

A friend just had a bad experience with GoodWill.....and they wouldnt take any furniture unless it was in perfect condition.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Jamma

Check to see if any  No Kill Animal Shelters in your area operate a thrift store with proceeds going to the animals.  One of the shelters in my town does this, they will take furniture in good condition---the exceptions are--no mattresses and no TVs........

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

A friend of mine years back donated a grandmothers whole house furniture to the Salvation Army

Honored Contributor

If you are not worried about the tax deduction (and not many probably are with the new tax laws as I dont' think most of us will now be using the standard deduction), If your neighborhood is on Nextdoor.com, that is a great way to get rid of stuff.

I emptied out my living room and kitchen in 2 hours to people trying to furnish college apartments for their kids.

This is the perfect time to do it, too.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Esteemed Contributor

AmVets....or other veterans charities. But - they have scheduled times when they will come to pick up furniture, so you just have to be patient. If you have a neighborhood website, you can also post photos of free furniture and put it in your driveway or the curb and it's usually gone within a day or so.

Respected Contributor

@Jamma wrote:

That take large pieces of furniture.  All the places on line specify small furniture pieces.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Jamma

Yes,  I have a source for you to call.  When I bought new sofa and love seat I wanted to donate my old set, so I called Salvation Army and they came into my house and carried them away.  Good luck.

Respected Contributor

We've had the Vietnam Veterans Assoc at our house for 5 Wed. in  row picking up boxes and bags of stuff and small furniture/decor.    These pickups must be small/light enough for one person to put on the truck.

If you have large items/furniture you have to tell them and schedule that type of pickup.   That way they know to send two or more people. 

You schedule on their website and it's very straightforward and easy to do.   Good luck.

Honored Contributor

Check with your church or a local church to see if they could use it.  Our parish owns a large home that is used to help refugees settle.  They live there and receive tons of help to learn how things work here.... from job training, grocery shopping, paying bills, education for the kids, and so much more.  

Respected Contributor

We have a Habitat for Humanity re-sale store in my area that will pick up furniture etc. Before the store had opened I had a hard time getting rid of a large sectional sofa as no donation center would take it.  Finally I put an ad in the newspaper that it was free for anyone who could come pick it up .