Honored Contributor

Re: Does anyone else still solely use a flip phone?

Yes, my husband who has absolutely no interest in the latest technology. I have a Smartphone and use it frequently. I guess we have always been an opposites attract couple....

Honored Contributor

I don't have one, but I have a couple of friends that do.

Respected Contributor

I use a flip phone and it's a Samsung.  I have no need for the new type phone.  I see too many children and adults always looking at their phones and not looking into someone's eyes to communicate.  People at restaurants not even talking to each other while sitting together.  I only pay $9.99 a month, at the most $14.  But, I only use for outgoing calls and I pay if anyone calls me .08 Cents a minute.  But, I don't give my phone number to anyone as it is only used for my purpose of contacting someone.

Honored Contributor

My husband still uses a flip phone, and has zero interest in a “real” phone.  

Modern technology means nothing to him unless it requires him to learn a new step to operating the TV.    He knows nothing about a computer or the internet, has never wanted to learn, and the same thought applies to a smart phone.  

He agrees to carry the phone with him when he leaves the house; otherwise it can always be found on the kitchen counter with his keys.  The phone is used for me to call him, or him to call me; he can’t even find his 6 main contact numbers I put in the phone!   

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@september wrote:

My brother still uses a flip phone.  He’s very well-off, financially, but kind of frugal.  He asks other people in the family to use their apps and gps when he’s with us!

I think that's why some people are 'well-off'. They don't waste their money on things that cost more when there are economical options available. Although I am not well-off, I am the same way with the way I do things with my money. Guess I am also frugal. That's why I have a flip phone. Smiley Happy

I get that, but do you ask other people to “use” their smart phones when you’re with them?  That was my point...my brother does that, which seems to me, like he’s using our smart phone plans so he doesn’t have to pay for his own.  

I can certainly afford to let him use my gps when we’re together and we need this option.  I just find it odd that he won’t pay a few dollars/month more so he can have this for himself.  

Respected Contributor

Yup.   Still just a phone here but I can see needing to switch sometime in the future.  Many places just assume you have access to apps to get their detailed information or offers. 

Respected Contributor

Yes, I still just have a trac phone flip phone. Got it originally because I worked odd hours and was on the road all the time, so for emergencies only. It also came in handy when my late mother became ill in case I was needed. I don't feel the need to have a phone to my ear every second of the day. I pay $20 every three months for a tracfon card but have amassed a lot of minutes. I still have a landline, but may be on the phone once or twice a day for 15 minutes total.

Honored Contributor

I have a land line phone and I have a flip phone.  I am not a phone person at all.  I sometimes feel like a dinosaur for not getting a smart phone but then I think why?  I really don't want one.  I suppose one day I will have to get one as more and more things are being put on it and they will make it a necessary thing.  I like my regular old computer for doing most things as the screen is large and its easy for me to see.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

@luvmybeetle wrote:

I use a flip phone and it's a Samsung.  I have no need for the new type phone.  I see too many children and adults always looking at their phones and not looking into someone's eyes to communicate.  People at restaurants not even talking to each other while sitting together.  I only pay $9.99 a month, at the most $14.  But, I only use for outgoing calls and I pay if anyone calls me .08 Cents a minute.  But, I don't give my phone number to anyone as it is only used for my purpose of contacting someone.

@luvmybeetle 

Speaking of restaurants, when my lady friends & I sit down at a table, the first thing they do is pull that phone out and sit it on the table right in front of them. And check it in-between drinks coming, food coming, coffee & dessert coming and on the way out to the car. It's funny yet it's sad.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Still using 9-year-old flip phone.  Talk and text.  No reason at all to retire it.

I hate phones anyway. I can think of no greater luxury than to not require a phone.